I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Seething with Frustration and Mama Bear Anger

My daughter has been sick a lot this year. Anyone reading through my blog can attest to the mishaps and illnesses that we've endured this school year. As a result, she's missed 14 days of school. Even so, she maintains a 3.8 - 4.0 grade point average.

I think if a person is out for two or three days because of one illness and they have a doctor's slip to prove so, it should count as one absence, not two or three. This is not the way it works in our middle school, hence the number of absences for my middle child.

Emily loves school. She loves everything about it. The learning, the social aspect, the sports - everything. Conferences were last week and every one of her teachers said she was the top in her class or among the top. In math, Emily was the only student that passed a particularly difficult algebra test. Not only did she pass, she passed with an A- and was the only one that wasn't required to retake it. She's on student council, she's a Student Assistant and she is on the cheerleading squad. I'm not saying all this to brag, although it does feel kinda good. I'm giving you an idea of what kind of person my daughter is.

I've talked to the school principal about her absences and they've assured me that because I've called every time and have provided doctor's excuses when necessary that there wasn't any truancy issues.

I just got off the phone with the director for the class trip this year. She informs me that Emily has missed too much school to go on the trip - by two days. Now I know there are rules and I agree with them, but I also believe one needs to look at the whole picture in making any decision. You're telling me that as long as a student is scraping by with D's, but only has 5 absences, they are more deserving at this opportunity. I think that Emily should go because she's proved that she can stay on top of things with missed school. What better candidate to leave for an entire week of school?

Rules aside, what I'm really pissed about is the condescending tone the director took with me.

DIR: I see that Emily has had a problem with attendance. Would it be better for me to talk to her and let her know the importance of being in school.

ME: No, she likes school. She wants to be there, she's just been sick this year. I've got the doctor's slips. I feel like I need to remind you of the schools rule about being sick - if you're child has a fever, they are not allowed in school.

DIR: Well, we can bend the rules this time, but I need you to assure me that Emily will do all she can to make an effort to be here.

ME: Again, she does make an effort to be there, but if she's throwing up, I can't send her.

DIR: I still need to have a commitment from Emily, because if she can't commit to being here, we will give her spot to someone on the waiting list.

(If they don't fill her spot though, we are out they money we've put toward the trip)

ME: I know Emily will make every effort to be in school, but I can't guarantee that she isn't going to get bronchitis between now and May.

DIR: Maybe that child needs to take Vitamin C or Echinacea then.

EXCUSE ME???!!!! WHAT???

I ended the conversation before I completely ruined Emily's chances of going, but wish I would have said a lot more. I think it's shitty. I don't think it's fair and I'm not going to just accept it.

Furthermore, why am I only be told this now. Why wasn't I made aware of the absence situation when we were at 10 absences instead of 14. Conveniently timed after my 2nd non-refundable trip payment.

It remains to be seen whether or not she'll be able to go on the trip, but you can bet your brass monkey that I won't be paying for it if she doesn't go.

12 comments:

clew said...

What a bunch of crap! I know Em's a great student and she doesn't deserve to be hassled about this. WTF! I hope this all smooths out - and I for one believe you're owed an apology. Seems like the truancy sniffers aought to be after the real problems, not the good students who just happen to catch a lot of bugs and bumps during the year.

Anonymous said...

I think the Officer is a sniveling bore who is a closet xenophobic.
I remember when I skipped school in the ninth grade. When the prinicipal called at dinner after my father had worked ten hours it was:
PRICK: Your son was absent today without an excuse.
DAD: What is his grade point average.
PRICK: I do not know.
FATHER: Call me when you do.
-five minutes later-
PRICK: I see that your son has a 3.9.
FATHER: Call me when we have a problem.
AMEN
I missed thirty days of school that year becuase of juvenile diabetes. Most hirachy in education just plain SUCKS.

Rebecca said...

WOW. I'd have totally laid into her if she made a comment like that about the vitamin C.

Here's my imaginary rant response: "I'm sorry...are you insinuating that I don't take care of my child's nutritional needsor I'm being negligent because my daughter has been sick? Because clearly - I think I need to have a conversation with the Principal about this conversation we're having here. Need I remind you that my daughter is not one of your problem students that you need to monitor, thank you very much".

UGH

Joy said...

Vitamin C or Echinacea? I would have thrown both bottles of Vitamin C and Echinacea at her.

The fact that she did not even care to understand the reasons for your daughter's absence really ticks me off. I applaud you on your self-control, because I don't know if I would have been as calm and gracious as you.

Bainwen Gilrana said...

Oh, my middle school treated me the same way. My 8th grade year I kept coming down with bronchitis, and they kept acting like I was a criminal. My mom actually called the guidance office the Gestapo.

Nelly said...

That is horrible Naive! I wouldn't have had the control you did on the phone. I hope this all works out!

Melzie said...

We have an absences policy... however, I know they look at the reasonings. It's not like your daughter is one of those who skips school entirely to go off and meet the boyfriend or something. I hope she gets to go... She should be able to go.

Spin_Doc1 said...

I had this same problem when I was in school, but I agree with Eric's dad; as long as the student is doing all the work they give them (at an excelled level) they should be able to miss as much school as they desire.

E. said...

This administrator's attitude is terrible. Kids get sick! And it's quite possible that your Emily was sick due to some other student coming to school sick when they should have stayed home recuperating.

I am a teacher, and I am unusual among my colleagues for promoting the idea that kids should stay home when they're sick and should not be penalized for health-related illness. Some years are years of ill-health for all of us, and an environment like a school breeds sickness for teachers and students alike.

Martie said...

I remember an incident similar to this when one of your brothers was in school in the same system. At that time there was a policy in place that if you missed no time you didn't have to take final exams.

Needless to say, many kids came to school when they were obviously to ill to come. Consequently, your brother missed more than the allowed days due to repeated bouts with strep throat. This sort of thing needs to stop.....sometimes kids just have a bad year as adults do and have no control over their immune system!

Emily deserves to go on that trip.....btw, which Dir. are we speaking of? You can tell me in private in an e-mail so I can go and kick some butt. This is Mama Bear Anger and Grandma Bear Anger.....watchout Dir!!!

Kimmy said...

I am furious! At first I was thinking how much she sounded like me. I missed half of my 8th grade year in hospitals and having surgery, but when I was at school I was involved just like your daughter... with a 3.84 gpa. So I was totally understanding the situation.

But then... the director's comments. Unbelievable! And not at all professional! I'm serious. My jaws are clenched. I can't imagine how you feel. Vitamin C and Echinacea? What good is that gonna do when she's barfing? Why don't you just make her take Airborne everyday... that should solve the problem. Oh, I am so angry.
Maybe you could contact the principal and let him know how the conversation took place. It's not right to send a kid on a trip that doesn't want to be in school anyway and make a great student stay back... when clearly she's earned the right to go. You have documentation for goodness sake.
Badly done!

Michelle said...

Thanks all. I have a call into the principal because the more I replay the conversation in my head, the angrier I get. I don't know where this call will get me, but I NEED to make it.