I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Heart Goes Pitter Patter

Or thud, thud, thud depending on which emotion is currently winning the war. Last night's emotion was panic and fear mixed with a nagging voice saying "nah, you're over reacting."

A trip to the ER in the middle of the night confirmed that the little voice was right. Sorta.

Glenn came home from work with some upper back pain and headed off to bed early. When I joined him a few hours later, he was still awake because of the pain which was now also traveling down his left arm. I knew this could be a sign of an impending heart attack but he had also been shingling all week and had moved a pile of shingles that day. Could just be a pulled muscle, right?

Then he got up to take some Pepcid because he had heartburn and an alarm went off in my head that we should probably get this checked out. I talked him into going to the ER. Boy, they sure don't mess around when you complain of any pain that might be associated with the heart. We didn't even have to register, they came to us in the room later to fill out the paper work. His vitals were taken and the attending had examined him within 10 minutes of our arrival.

Turns out that he tore some muscles along the left side of his upper spine and the inflammation was causing the pain. We got some Vicodin and some muscle relaxers and arrived home only 2 1/2 hours after we left. That's gotta be some kind of record for an emergency visit.

Thankfully it was nothing major and we felt a little foolish at having rushed to the hospital, but they assured us that we did the right thing. Then probably laughed like school girls when we walked out the door.

Yet another exciting event to mark in my calendar of life.

7 comments:

Smerdyakov said...

You really really can't be too careful with things like that. A false alarm is a small price to pay.

Martie said...

It's never silly or dumb to check out something like this and as you know I speak from experience. Why on earth am I only finding this out by reading your blog at 7:30 PM the night after? Shame on you both for not calling me!

Cheryl said...

Not dumb or silly--no way. I have acid reflux, and I had associated heart symptoms (irregular heartbeat). My doctor told me to get my butt there or to the emergency room right that minute when I called. You can't mess around with that stuff. And your hubby had torn muscles--OUCH! Sounds like a good reason to go to emergency to me.

Rebecca said...

Whew. So much better to be safe than sorry! I'm glad he listened to you and went.... ;)

Joy said...

There is nothing dumb or silly when it comes to your health. I'm glad you took him to the ER - better safe than sorry.

clew said...

Man! Scary stuff! It's never a bad idea to make sure all is well. Hugs to you both ~ See you soon! GEEK!

Nelly said...

Thank GOD!!! Don't mess around with that shi-!