I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Farts are Funny at Fifteen Months

"Children learn what they live."

If that's true, then I'm embarrassed to admit that the baby thinks it's hilarious when he breaks wind. Or "opens up his peach basket" as my Grandma used to say.

Now before everyone conjures up an image of our family walking around saying things like "pull my finger" and "shhhh, do you hear that" prior to ripping off a butt clapper, let me just tell you that Drew has most likely acquired this habit because we laugh at him when he let's one fly.

Since he seeks our approval above all else except maybe his food, any way he can please us brings him great delight. Each time he toots, he stops in his tracks, looks at us from the corner of his eye and starts smiling, which of course makes us laugh even more, further reinforcing his antics.

I suppose just as he's learned this behavior, he'll soon enough learn that it's embarrassing to fart in public and I won't need to worry.

6 comments:

clew said...

Oh my gosh. Too funny! Incrediboy is the same way, and has now learned how to anticipate them.. He'll purposefully stop whatever he's doing and carry out the toot, much to his delight in himself. And he thinks it's REALLY great if he can fire one off in the middle of a change, while his butt's exposed.

Boys!

Martie said...

I have witnessed Drew first hand in action. I have seen him stop, look intently at me, grab himself in "certain unmetionalbe parts", toot, and then not just smile, but literally crack up laughing! I think it must physically tickle him! It is rather hysterical to watch him, but then I find him very entertaining anyway! :)

Rebecca said...

hahahha, it is really funny when a little baby does it... my daughter gets the biggest kick when she passes gas. She gets this mischevious look on her face and then if I say "did you poop?" she bursts out laughing...

My son is now 4.5 - and he's at the stage now where he knows it's not polite - and you better say "excuse me"! But it still makes him laugh!

Lori said...

Well, my son is almost 14 and learned long ago about it being a real social faux paus. BUT...he still thinks it's hilarious in private! Not sure if they ever get over that one!

Joy said...

OMG! This post literally had me in stitches NMN! :D

My family is the same way. As adults, we continue to crack jokes if one of us lets one pass. LOL!

Cheryl said...

I know men over 40 who STILL don't think it's embarrassing to fart in public. Last guy I dated, in fact. Notice that's past tense.

Where do I find these guys?