I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Three Terrible Shots

"Three terrible shots and one brilliant shot still makes par"

This is one of my favorite quotes from the movie Bagger Vance and the conception for my New Year's declaration.

See, I don't much care for resolutions, New Year's or otherwise. I'm tired of the pressure that comes with setting unrealistic goals and the disappointment and sense of failure afterward when they aren't achieved. Instead, this year I'm going to focus on what not to do. Some of the patterns that I've fallen into or the bad habits that have formed ~ these are the things I am resolving to take charge of. I'm not setting goals of advancement and self-improvement but rather hope to better myself through an alternate mind set. One that focuses more on what not to do rather than on a rigorous new schedule.

Bad habits have a way of sneaking up on you and becoming an integral part of life. So much so that we don't even recognize them as bad habits, even when they start to consume all productive time.

On that note and with the understanding that my time up to now has been "two or three terrible shots", I intend to tighten up my proverbial golf game to make that par. Maybe even an eagle.

6 comments:

Martie said...

You have always been able to accomplish what you set out to do.....you go girl!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Years friend.

Rebecca said...

Happy New Year!
I believe resolutions are just a way of getting a rejuvenation to the ever changing, evolving list of things we can improve about ourselves. :) They're not necessary or required!

Here's to a wonderful 2006 to you and your family!

clew said...

I'm not following all this golf jargon. Could you put that in baseball terms? ;)

JK. I'll encourage you and you encourage me. Or in other words, "PAR" for the course for us.

Joy said...

Happy New Year to you too NNM! Thanks for visiting my site. Look forward to reading your posts as well! :)

Bougie Black Boy said...

Golf? That is ONE thing I can't do... jeesh...

yeah bad habits creep up on us. Once we give up one, another comes to replace it without us really knowing.