I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Hey Rocky! Wanna see me pull a survey out of my a$$?

Working with the public, especially when it involves their own money, is not for the faint of heart. Strictly knowing this fact, does not necessarily secure smooth transactions between client and broker.

I did everything I could to get all my proverbial ducks in a row before my surgery fearing that I wouldn't be able to do anything during recovery. This included having everything ready for a mortgage closing tomorrow. I made sure the package would be ready, that the title office had all the documents and the lender had cleared the conditions. The only thing the buyer needed to do was find a copy of their existing survey and fax it to the title office. They assured me they had one and they would have it faxed by the beginning of this week.

I get a call from the lender today. "We need a survey on the (insert last name) file."

Thinking that there was a transmittal error at worst, I ring the buyer and ask them to fax it again. "Oh, it turns out we don't have a survey. Is that going to be a problem?"

"Well not for me, but the lender wont give us final clear to close until we produce one and if we don't close tomorrow, I can't guarantee your rate because the lock will expire." They've known this was the deadline for 3 weeks and still have dragged it out not getting me certain documents I've needed.

Anyway, I work my magic and get a surveying company out to the property and they agree to have my survey ready by tomorrow morning. They want to charge $200 instead of $150 though for the rush job. I authorize it without the buyer's okay. Seemingly the right thing to do in this particular situation.

Call up buyer to explain and he's irate that it's going to cost them $50 more dollars. I go from hero to zero in a matter of thirty minutes. Should I kill him or strangle myself?

8 comments:

Smerdyakov said...

Sounds like a good opportunity to explain to them the difference between $50 and the sum of the additional payments they would have to make over the life of the loan if the rate ticked up even a 1/4% while you looked for a cheaper survey.

clew said...

Well, yeah, either that, what AC said, or take a shat in their hat for a nice big "you're welcome".

Oh wait, that wouldn't be professional. Guess that's why I'm not in the biz.

Martie said...

Bottom line, are they going to pay the additional $50. or is the closing off?

Some people are terribly ungrateful! Don't strangle yourself......kill the buyer!

Joy said...

Talk about an ungrateful buyer. If he/she only know knew how muuch they saved. Good job nnm! :)

Anonymous said...

Tell them next time to pull the survey out of THEIR a$$!! LOL Some people mistakenly got in the stupidity line at some point in their lives. LOL

Christine

Rebecca said...

Dontcha love real estate and all the transactions that go along with it?? ;)

How are you feeling by the way? Recovering nicely?

Cheryl said...

I SO laughed at that post title. And you DID IT!!! You ARE a magician.

Nunzia said...

Umm... neither? lol I hope this worked out for you! I'm sorry you had such a difficult day...