I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Friday, January 06, 2006

A Different Art Form

I don't recall if I've ever talked about this on my blog before, but me and my husband used to build houses. Well, we still do, I just don't do the physical labor anymore.

One time a guy actually asked me with sarcasm dripping from his words, "What do you do? Hand him nails?" But, I've done it all. From the basement sill plates to the vent cap on the roof, I can build you a home myself. I learned how to layout walls, set trusses, rafter, shingle, set windows and doors ~ everything. The only area where I didn't keep up with the guys was in hefting material. I just couldn't carry as many studs or sheets of plywood as them and those 80 lb shingle bags are almost imossible to carry up a twelve foot ladder, but I did it once anyway to prove a point and win a bet.

I came out of retirement, so to speak, when we built our own house two years ago. I don't really miss the physical work, but being on a job site again reminded me of the things I did miss. The first warmth of spring days, how the radio sounds echoing off concrete walls, the smell of pine two by fours when the saw blade hits a knot, the whir of the compressor and the fa-thoo of the nail gun as it's power sinks a 3" nail into the board.

When we designed our house, I told my husband that I wanted a round window on the roof. Well, it's an elliptical shape really, but it's easier to say round window. His reply was, "If you want it, you build it".

So I did. All by myself. Here's a picture of me standing on top of it, having conquered the crazy angles.


10 comments:

clew said...

I've said it before - You rock!

Martie said...

That's my girl! I'm mighty proud of you, you know?

Lori said...

That's awesome! Brings back memories from a different time in my life...

I've helped my husband with sheetrock and building, but am not ready to design a window, by any means!

You go, girl!!!

Bainwen Gilrana said...

How incredibly cool!

Rebecca said...

Good for you sister! As you know, I'm a girly girl - but I'm relatively handy. Not quite as handy as you, to say the least! But I've cut and laid tile, grouted floors, and done small projects when my ex and I built an inlaw apartment in his mom's home. (He was a plumber and could do anything!) I cringe whenever I go to home depot and they look at me like I'm crazy if I talk knowledgeably about something trades related. :(

I'm so impressed!!! Good for you, one more thing I dig about you! :)

Bill said...

The reason I hcave been quite in the blog world is because I was out of town for a few weeks.

I am always repairing my house.....its fun on one hand a a total bummer on the other.

Cheryl said...

Look at you! I read "crazy angels" instead of "crazy angles" at first--and you do look like kind of a crazy angel up there! Great arms! I worked for a contractor when I was in college, and that know-how could serve me well. I supervised the building engineer and maintenance crew at my job for several years, and they always were amazed that OH MY I knew what a tap screw was and how to used a drill.

Clew's right--you rock!

Smerdyakov said...

Does this mean that I can give you a call whenever my toilet gets backed up?

Michelle said...

AC ~ I think you've mistaken my hammer for a plunger. I don't do toilets.

Nelly said...

You look fabulous in that pic!