I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Okay, no laughing please...

One of the things I've always wanted was to be able to paint. Not paint for money, but have the ability to whip out some extraordinary masterpiece that I could say I created. I've always been able to draw and put colors together in a pleasing way, but unless it's paint-by-numbers, the skill of painting has eluded me.

About five years I broke down and decided to teach myself as lessons weren't affordable for us at the time. I purchased a few books, some canvases, an easel, oil paints and brushes. I learned what is called the wet-on-wet technique, layering wet paints on top of each other then blending them with a dry brush.

I immediately botched the job when I pulled the dry brush vertically down the picture rather than horizontally. I usually don't get the two directions mixed up, but I did that day and the result was a strange coloration of sky and water.

All in all I was semi-pleased with the final product. Still, it sits in a closet collecting dust never having been displayed on a wall. Here it is, and promise, no laughing!

12 comments:

Martie said...

There is nothing to laugh at....it is lovely. Instead of sitting in your closet, you can give it to me and I can hang it on one of my walls.

Michelle said...

You're my mom, you can't be objective. :)

Rebecca said...

That's beautiful!!!
Don't laugh at yourself.....or be overly critical. It's really very, very nice. :)

Michelle said...

Nicole ~ we must have been! The wet on wet technique is Bob Ross' technique. HA

Smerdyakov said...

It's more than just a painting though. It's a personal statement that you're not going to be complacent. It's a declaration that you're more than just a mother/daughter/wife/(insert occupation here).
Most people go through life never experiencing the joy of creating something new. Most people go through life ignorantly content.
That's not you.

Martie said...

Even though I'm your mom, I can and am objective. If you sucked at something (anything) I would tell you....but you see, you don't! I tell your youngest brother what he sucks at so I am a totally objective mom! Just give it to me! LOL

clew said...

As your "officially educated" artist friend, I respectfully submit the following review:

SHUT UP!

You are pursuing a creative urge and that is commendable. You're following where your soul leads and that is admirable. You enriched yourself by painting a beautiful, tranquil painting and that is gratifying not only to you but to those who love you.

Especially me. :)

XOXOXO

Bainwen Gilrana said...

I am laughing, but only because my mom has a painting I made based on that same original. We must have been working from the same video!

The pallet knife was my downfall in painting.

Bill said...

that is pretty cool. Why would anyone laugh at that? I don't have the patience to paint.

Cheryl said...

I'm not laughing--I like it. I want to go to that place! It looks so peaceful.

Lori said...

No laughing here. Painting is tough. I've always been able to draw, too...but that painting stuff is difficult.

I say, pursue it. My mom did so much painting when we were children...and I have some of her work to this day. It brought her so much joy which continues through us. And isn't that the whole point?

Anonymous said...

You are so multi-talented...I didn't realize how much you were capable of. It's so good to read about all the things that have been going on in your life over the past months.k