I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Not to be outdone by Clew....

This weekend was my turn to sit in urgent care. Not for me, but for my infant son, Drew.

We had just returned home from a day at the mall, dinner and grocery shopping and were busy putting things away. Drew was crawling around the kitchen floor and made his way into the pantry (a favorite place to play). He somehow got his little mitts on a V8 can and was shaking it vigorously when he popped his other hand with it. It hit so hard that it instantly split it open right through the fingernail and everything. There was blood everywhere and I freaked! The tip of the finger was open pretty wide and we couldn't stop the bleeding so we drove to the ER.

They didn't want to do stitches because they would have had to go through the fingernail so instead, glued and steri-stripped the wound, made a finger splint for him to wear, and bandaged him up to the shoulder with a wrap. He looked like he just had surgery.

He was very brave though and had the whole ER fawning over him. He kept holding up his finger and saying "ohh.....ohh". Which is his version of Uh Oh!

Unfortunately it must have been hurting him because he was up in the night - a lot! And by morning he had pulled most of his outer wrap off and pulled the splint and steri strips off and bled all over the place again. We doctored him up as best we could (which is a trife better than the ER) and he seems to be doing good.

He looks like a kitty cat with a lame paw.

10 comments:

Martie said...

Awww.....poor baby! Poor Mommie, too! Hope he recovers without too much pain. Hope this isn't any indication of what's to come as he gets older! Good luck!

Lori said...

Poor little guy! It looks like he's being a real trooper, though. The question is...how's mom doing?

How well I remember the days of sleepless nights! I'm pretty fortunate that neither of my kids got into much mischief and came through childhood unscathed, for the most part. I'll soon be entering the second phase of sleepless nights as they begin going out with friends. Luckily right now, they're both home bodies!

Hope tonight is a better night for you both! Hugs..

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad he's ok now. When I knocked my eyebrow off when I was two everyone said my mom needed more medical attention than me. LOL

Bainwen Gilrana said...

Oh my goodness, your baby is beyond cute! I'm glad he's going to be okay. :-)

clew said...

Awwwwe, my poor widdle buddy! I'm so sorry, you must have flipped! That sounds like it'll be sore for a while too.

Maybe that's the key - you have to be incredibly cute to get decent service atr Urgent Care. I guess I'm lucky anyone came back to help me at all then. LOL!

Hugs for Tater ~

Michelle said...

Thanks to everyone for all the kind comments regarding my son. He's doing much better, but getting tired of being one-handed. I'm thinking of taking the bandage off. You know how your skin gets when it hasn't had air for a while. Ew, not looking forward to that.

Ruben, you knocked your eyebrow off? I'd like to hear that story.

Lori, soon your daughter will want to be out with her friends at night. Get some good books and a Nextel two-way. You'll be fine.

Cheryl said...

Aagh! Scary... those are the "mom" moments I hate. He's a cute little guy though, mitten and all.

clew said...

I keep clicking back to your blog to look at the boy. He's so CUTE!!!

These two were worth the struggle to achieve, eh? HUGS ~

Michelle said...

Amen to that Clew. These two were worth every heartache we had to endure.

Anonymous said...

Crazy are those who feel safe enough to post pictures, and give evidence of ones life, and means on the cyber where more predators than innocent minds live. How could one put ones most loved where hardened prisoner roam free. The sick at mind never rest, and their targets appear to be everywhere, take head innocent one, you are not alone, and I wish I wrote this comment without the pain I found in cyber. Good luck