I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Knees Don't Fail Me Now

Am I getting old, or what?

After sitting at the computer for not more than 15 minutes with my almost-one-year-old in my lap, I stood to go upstairs when my right knee collapsed beneath me. Without warning, it just gave out despositing me and said son onto the floor with a little yelp.

I've heard of this happening to other people - older people - but I never understood it. I mean, I knew what they were talking about but I really didn't see how it could be possible. How does a leg that was supporting you one minute, without any trauma, completely fail the next? Shouldn't there be some warning as to the impending disrupture? One would think so, but no.

I should think that my knee would be sore today, because frankly, it hurt like hell when it happened. But just as stealthily as the attack yesterday, it's as shockingly fine today - like nothing ever happened.

Could have done without that, thank you very much.

5 comments:

Bainwen Gilrana said...

Yow! What a scary feeling that can be, not being able to trust your own body! My left knee pulls garbage like that every once in a great while, but at least I know why (tore my ACL in a roller hockey accident a few years ago).

You might mention it to your doctor next time you're in. Knees can do strange things on occasion, but reassurance that it was just a "glitch" couldn't hurt. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you and your son were not hurt. Body parts are weird; one minute they're working and then the next they hurt so bad you consider cutting them off with a saw. My teeth are killing me as I type this comment.If I wasn't so found of chewing my food I'd knock them all out.

Lori said...

My body is increasingly playing tricks on me, especially since I've turned 40. I remember about 10 years ago when I'd sit on the floor for awhile and my legs would be completely numb that I couldn't get up. It kinda scared me for awhile because I wondered if I had MS or something related. But though it happens on occasion, I'm still kicking...literally!

clew said...

Maybe that giant son of yours just put your chicken leg to sleep.

;) You know I love you!

Martie said...

Genetics, my dear, get used to it! Hope it doesn't give you any more trouble! Maybe you should lay off the gymnastics for a while, eh?