I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

A Bit of Nostalgia

Whatever age you are, there always seems to be a better one.

With all the discussion on olfactory triggers and past connections, and my almost nightly visits to the football field of my alma mater to watch my children cheerlead or play football, I've been feeling a bit nostalgic. Not in a longing-for-yesterday way, but more in a reflective aspect.

I found the following poem on "The Starlight Cafe's Poet's Forum", written by a man that posts under the name ProlificPoet.

Just Yesterday

Just a little memory song
to reflect back on time
In those days of glory
and simple things were a crime
Yesterday….When butterflies floated
and bounced in the wind
And you knew you owned it
as you rode that whirlwind
Just Yesterday….Do you remember
your first love
Those beautiful moments
sent from above
Back in Yesterday….How the sun always shined
on your special playgrounds
Everybody was a friend
when you were around
Upon Yesterday….Can you recall
the first time you hurt
How bad was the pain
who brought the comfort
While visiting Yesterday….How about happiness
when it covered your face
About that smile
that came from Grace
Yes in Yesterday….Do you long
to go back then
Experience one more time
where there was no wind
Inside of Yesterday….Yesterdays and tomorrows
are ours to own
Presents from Him
when we are all alone
From Yesterdays….

7 comments:

clew said...

Cool poem, chicklet ... Have you heard the new Nickelback song, "Photograph"? It prompts JUST ENOUGH to force anyone who hears it to reflect on something personal. It seems to fit anyone.

If you haven't heard it yet, keep your ear out.

Martie said...

Very nice post, naive-no-more! Although some "yesterdays" are best left as "yesterdays" for me and not to be brought to the present day......

Anonymous said...

Great peom. It made me think whcih set off my urge to eat. Thanks alot. Now I'm even fatter than I was 5 minutes ago :)

Cheryl said...

Very cool. I love yesterdays--'cause you can remember the good times and choose not to think about the bad. And I love tomorrows even more.

Bainwen Gilrana said...

I am also more fond of tomorrow than of yesterday. I like imagining what will come next a bit more than remembering what has gone before, even though both have their joys. :-)

Michelle said...

Bainwen, of course you like tomorrows better. You're hopelessly in love and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. :)

Bainwen Gilrana said...

Ah, I've always liked tomorrow better. That's just me.

Though these days I'm quite fond of today as well. :-)