I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Friday, October 07, 2005

And Now a Bit of Humor

A vague melancholy aura has seemed to move secretly into my blog. While I knew that I would post the occasional depressing entry, I didn't mean for my site to take on that general description. In an attempt to lighten the mood around here, I've decided to share one of my most embarassing moments.

The year was 1984. I had just reached the epitome of a teenager's life. Freedom. My own license to drive. Except I had nowhere to drive on a bright fall, Saturday morning.

Wanting to take the care somewhere - anywhere, I talked my mom into letting me get the groceries for her. (A chore I despise as an adult.) She consented and painstakingly made a list of the items she needed in the order that I would encounter them in the store. Then she sent my younger brother with me, "just in case".

Things were going well. All of the groceries were exactly where she said they would be, in perfect order. We were half way through our list when we came to the end of aisle 5. The list directed us to the meat market at the back of the store where we were to buy a package of pork chops, a combination roast, and 2 pounds of ground beef from chuck. The instructions were so clear.

My brother and I proceded to the meat counter where I proudly (and loudly) asked if Chuck were in. The guy behind the stand said there was no Chuck that worked there. After glancing back at my list with a confused expression, all three of us caught on to what I was asking at the same time. My brother, being the supportive type, started laughing his a$$ off, while the color on my face morphed through all shades of the rainbow.

I don't even remember getting the rest of the groceries. Maybe we left the store. I just remember being horrified at my stupidness. Now it's funny, but to a 16 year old know-it-all it was a most sobering event.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

That's funny! My Dad's name is Chuck, and there are no end of jokes. Up-Chuck, Woodchuck, Chuckles...

clew said...

Knowing you the way I do, I'm laughing more loudly than anyone. HAH! :)~

Michelle said...

HEY!!!! :)

Bainwen Gilrana said...

Good lord, that is hilarious!

Some years for Halloween, my mom will make a Morbid Meal, where all the food has spooky or gross names. Ghosted Marshmallows, Apple Brown Betty With Real Bits Of Betty, Mulligan Stew (always with a "severed head" labeled "Mrs. Mulligan" next to it), and of course there's always Ground Chuck. Poor ol' Chuck can't catch a break. :-)

Martie said...

Not laughing more loudly than me, Clew.....I know her brother and he still tells this story when ever he gets the chance.....and still laughs his a$$ off about it!

PS: It was really funny, naive-no-more!

Slyder said...

Great story!!! Just thought I would return the hi!

Lori said...

This sounds like something that I would have done! Maybe it's a Libra thing....

I've made a fool of myself so often, it's almost a daily event anymore! Oh well. Laughing is proven to be a healthy thing!