I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Insanity in Suburbia

A couple weeks ago, the school asked me to take professional portraits of the cheerleading team. I relented, contending that I was not a "professional", but a devoted hobbiest. The pictures turned out great and I compiled a list of package prices for purchase (at a reasonable cost as far as portraits go, I might add).

It was a simple arrangement. A package would consist of 1-8x10 of the team, 2-5x7's of the individual, and 9 wallets all of one pose for $23. More portraits of that pose or an additional pose were available singly at an added cost, which I listed accordingly.

The orders with money and proofs were due at last nights game. The following is a phone conversation I had this morning with one of the moms:

Me: Yes, this is blah, blah, blah, and I'm calling because there was a problem with your photo order.

Other Mom: Oh, what seems to be the trouble.

Me: Well, you've indicated that you want a 5x7 of your daughter in pose B and a 5x7 of the team, but you only paid $10. It's $10 for an extra sheet and a sheet consists of 1-8x10, 2-5x7's of one pose or 9 wallets of one pose.

OM: Well, I only want one 5x7 of my daugther.

Me: That's fine, I can still do that, but to print one 5x7 on a sheet costs the same as printing two on a sheet. They can't put two different poses on one sheet. They can't do the team and the individual on the same sheet. You'll have to purchase two sheets if you want two poses.

OM: Great, then I want one 5x7 of the team, and one 5x7 of my daughter.

Me: Great, then you'll have to pay an additional $10 and at this point, buying the package is a better deal.

OM: *snidely*, How convenient. Well, what if I dont want a picture of the team.

Me: *Thinking~ WHAT????, didn't you just tell me you wanted the team too?* Saying~ well we can just reprint the proofs of you daughter individually for $10. You'll get 2-5x7's of her then.

OM: But, I want a picture of the team.

Me: *popping a vein*, A team picture will be more money.

OM: Then can I just have the proofs back.

Me: *WTF?*, No, then everyone would be angry that they paid for packages when they could have had the proofs and made reprints themselves (even though the proofs have a copyright stamp on the back).

OM: *sighs emphatically*, You've just made this so confusing to order.

Me: *thinking~out of 18 girls, you're the only mom that didn't grasp this* Saying~it is very confusing how they do reprints. Let me explain again...blah, blah, blah.

OM: I'll call you back.

AAAARRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

OMG, I just read your other posts. I hadn't realized this one was your own blog, I kept looking on your joint ones.

I don't even know what to say....your son is a miracle, and I never have quite understood people who sort of plan out their lives, you know? Girls that say "i'm getting married this year, and pregnant next"....because it truly is a miracle, and you just never know. You hope to become pregnant - and you hope to have it be uneventful and that everything turns out fine. But the truth of the matter is, it's a miracle and completely in God's hands.

Good for you on not giving up despite it all..........

Martie said...

Some people just don't get it and never will.....I know it isn't in your nature to just give up but I think that is the best thing to do with this OM. I think she's just trying to be difficult and she is succeeding! Blow it off, laugh about it and have fun with someone else's supidity!

clew said...

It's 10-26-05 and I just wanted to say happy birthday Little Man!

We love you guys ~ XOXOXO

Cheryl said...

People just never, ever cease to amaze me. Thank God for the nice folk out there--they make up for this lady and all her friends.

Bainwen Gilrana said...

It really makes one wonder where some people were when God was handing out brains. :-)

Lori said...

Isn't it amazing how one negative person can ruin a good day?

I've taken pictures for a few friends but never charged much. When people say I should do it for a living....well... this post is an example why I don't see myself going in that direction!

Despite it all, I bet your photography was amazing! :-)

Anonymous said...

Cheerleaders are evil! lol

Michelle said...

Cheerleader's moms are evil!!!!

UPDATE: Other mom finally decided she wanted 2 5x7's of the team if I would please give her the 4x6 proofs back. Fine, whatever.