I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Monday, October 10, 2005

From My Office Window

Lies a dense forest (which incidentally, is my back yard) with towering maples, oaks and douglas firs stretching to the sky above, their tangled branches within becoming more visible every day. I watch gold and crimson leaves make their lazy decent to earth, twirling and floating on invisible currents. They land softly to join their kin on the sienna colored forest floor, where they will eventually rot under the winter snow. With the exception of the evergreens, the oak leaves are always the last to go, hanging on sometimes even after the first snow falls. Not ready to concede winter's victory just yet.

I'm reminded that many of these leaves, all different in shape and size and unique in their own design, are of the same species - the same tree even. Much like the human race. We are each uniquely individual designs that thrive together through one common God and will ultimately gather collectively in the winter of our lives.

I'd like to be an oak leaf in the forest of life.

7 comments:

Martie said...

I'm with you. Although, I am not afraid to "go" I would like to stay as long as I am able to enjoy the people and beauty around me.

Bainwen Gilrana said...

This is lovely.

In some of the ancient Celtic traditions, the oak represented wisdom. It was the tree of the gods. Perhaps for its longevity?

clew said...

The rest of the world is now seeing how brilliant a writer I knew you were all along. :)

Love you sistah!

Lori said...

Reserve me a spot on your branch.

This is so beautiful. I feel like I'm sitting in your office, looking out the very same window...

Cheryl said...

So jealous of that view. But thank you for letting me sit next to you and look out your window for a while!

Pirate said...

You just gotta love autumn. I noticed you scrapbook. Until this last weekend I had never heard of such a thing. I mean with an official name of what your doing. My wife and I were put in charge of shopping at a craft store and buying $100 of scrap booking stuff for an auction our kid's high school is having. Man there is a lot of stuff for the hobby.

Anonymous said...

Well written! I enjoyed this psot a lot, but I am afraid of kicking the bucket.