I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Strange Brew?

Does any one remember this movie besides me? It stars Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas. I'm not so certain it would be entertaining now, but as a kid, it was hilarious. The word of choice around our house was "Hoser" for weeks after watching the movie. And thanks to HBO running their movies 12 times a week even back then, we got our fill of the Canadian, beer seeking, hosers!

My husband got his love of beer from more resourceful avenues and has continued this affection by brewing his own. He's made hundreds of gallons of beer over the last 4 years and while there have been a couple skunk batches, most of it tastes wonderfully smooth. I would compare it to the premium beers, not your Busch's and Budweiser's. More like Dos Equis and Bels Oberon. Mmmm.

The scene in our basement looks like this right now in preparation for the Holidays.

We have a double batch of Christmas 2005 beer brewing, a double batch of Wheat and one batch of Ginger Tea Beer and one Indian Spiced Tea Beer brewing. The tea beers are his own recipes and while they sound not so good, they are wonderful!

The above picture shows the 30 gallons of beer (which translates to 300 - 12 oz bottles) in the "blow off" stage ~ when the yeast is eating the sugars during the carbonation phase. Everytime I walk past it, I resist the urge to yell, "IT'S ALIVE!!!" It rolls and bubbles and blurps and foams and it smells delicious. It will still be a couple weeks before it's ready to bottle even though the blow off period will probably end today and another couple weeks before it's ready to drink. Just in time for Christmas and New Year.

When we were picking up the supplies and grinding the grains for these batches, the girl that works at the store, seeing that we were using a blended yeast, asked Glenn if he had used that kind before. Not really paying attention to her, he answers, "yes." She then procedes to ask what kind of character the yeast gave him. A little dumbfounded, he replies "drunk?" I about laughed myself out of the store. The look on her face was priceless.

Beer tasting at my house, in about 5 or 6 weeks!!!

5 comments:

clew said...

Let me tell y'all, I've had some of their home brew ("Bailey's Brew") and it's KILLER!

And no, NNM is not my best friend just because they make all that beer, so hush up in the peanut gallery ... ;)

Or should I say, TAKE OFF!

Rebecca said...

Nice bar! I'm envious.... :)

I loved Strange Brew as a kid. I remember HBO played it endlessly it seemed!

I have to say I'm not a huge beer fan, but I bet it's yummy!

Michelle said...

Clew ~ Bailey's Brew was our very first batch! I remember you liking it. I thought you were just being nice!

Nicole & Clew ~ I can see you quoted the movie too. I hope you both are doing it all week long. You'll want to "steam roller" me! LOL

Rebecca ~ I'm not a big beer fan either, but I like the home brew. And, I tried sending you an email about problems with your blog. Did you get it?

Anonymous said...

Bad thing happen when beer is in the room. Run! Run while you can girl!

Martie said...

Hey I can't wait to smell the stuff....is that Indian Spice Tea Beer good? Maybe I'll have to try that...think it will be ready by Thursday just for a taste or does he have some from last year?

See ya then!