I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Computer Woes

Do you suppose there is a greater source telling me to stay off line? First the DSL line troubles and then my computer crashes...but good!

I was on the phone with a girl from India for an hour and a half trying to restore my hard drive. It didn't work and we decided that I needed to do a destructive restore. That didn't work either and at that point, we both just wanted to get off the phone. We couldn't really understand each other anyway.

So I unplugged all my connections, considered strangling myself with the power cable, then hauled the tower to Best Buy determined to get a new one. I joined the long line of weary, tower-toting, un-technological people and waited patiently for my turn, ready to show them that I indeed needed a new computer. I tried a temp hive, a restore and tried changing the data peripherals and finally, the destructive restore that resulted in the same black screen. I wasn't going to let them talk me into diagnosing the problem because I didn't have an additional 3-5 days to be without my computer. Thankfully, the geek at the counter was super friendly and I didn't have to kill him.

Apparently, I didn't need to do the destructive restore as my problem was that the video card I added was conflicting with the original monitor settings causing it to freak out and turn to a black screen. He fixed it for me and sent me on my way. Past the fiery eyed people who wouldn't be taking their towers home with them.

Now I begin the long process of reinstalling all my software and making my computer the comfortable place it was just a few days ago. It will probably be a good day before I'm all caught up. I hope to get to everyone's blogs soon to read what I missed.

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Awwww man! Good luck with all that hard work.

clew said...

I believe this is what my mom calls, "the kiss of death". ;)

Martie said...

I knew what was going on, but the rest of "blog-world" thought they were just being ignored! JK, LOL

Lori said...

Welcome back! We've missed you while you were out of touch.

Bainwen Gilrana said...

Computers can be such brats!

Smerdyakov said...

It always amazes me how we teher ourselves to technology. I went years without a cell phone. Now I feel naked without it. I've been on dozens of cross-country flights with only a magazine to keep me occupied, but now I'm lost without my portable media player.
Warning - gratuitous Fight Club quote ahead......
"The things you own end up owning you."

Smerdyakov said...

teher = tether

clew said...

Hey - Just heard about the situation with Bumpa - Hugs to you and yours. Keep me updated! Love you sistah XOXOXO