I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Farmer Jed is in the Front Yard and Other Calamities

I know sibling rivalry runs in epidemic proportions in most normal families, but I didn't realize there would be such disenssion between kid and canine. Our sweet little dalmatian/black lab mix, is forever stealing the baby's toys. Most recently, Farmer Jed from "The World of Little People's Farm". Poor Jed is laying out in the sand while all we can do is watch the rain drops pelt his plastic body.

Other recent tragedies in our household ~ all three kids are teething. Who would have thought. The 17 year old is cutting his wisdom teeth; the 13 year old, some-year molars ~ I don't know which ones; and the baby, his eye teeth. A round of Ibuprophen for the house!

Equally as devastating is the state of my fingernails. I painted bright red over my nicely french manicured tips in celebration of my Halloween costume. Now, it's chipping, revealing portions of the french white underneath and looking much like a subjects hands from CSI. There is no fingernail polish remover in the house despite a trip to D&W and Walgreens yesterday!

Twice as devastating is the fact that 13-year-old Emily might have blinked during picture retakes and she'll just "DIIIIIIIE" if she has to use the first pictures in which she is still sporting her braces!

Ten times as devastating as that is the embarassment 17-year-old Steve is experiencing at having to roll change for the gas hungry Cougar. It's so unfair that I won't exchange his coins out of my own cash so he can fill up for school. He opted for the school bus instead which is a much "cooler" statement than having to explain a possible sighting of him at the gas station with nickels and dimes! ????

Wheres the bottle of Captain? Oh yeah, I finished that off Saturday night.

12 comments:

clew said...

I've got a brand new bottle of Spiced Captain on my counter right now ... COME ON OVER!

(Before it's ALL GONE!) ;)~

Martie said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Such upheaval at your house. Sounds as if you need another night out.....and soon. Better yet, ship all the kids out and stay in by the fireplace with your bottle of Captain!

Let me know if you need more ibuprofen! ;)

Bainwen Gilrana said...

I didn't understand the minds of teenagers even when I was one.

I think there's just altogether too many teeth in your house now!

Cheryl said...

LOL at the title of this post. Teenagers. Aren't they fun! Teething only ends for brief spurts between babyhood and 18... I hadn't thought of that. Well, hopefully all those teeth will make for some decent smiles soon.

Michelle said...

UPDATE: Farmer Jed has been rescued and so have my nails. Mama brought me a bottle of fingernail polish remover.

Anonymous said...

Forget the captain and grab a bottle of Jose Cuervo. After a few shots of this even your shadow will be drunk.

Rebecca said...

Aha....such is the life of a Mom. ;)

I'm still enjoying the days where the kids are young enough that I still maintain control. I'm sure I'll be drinking myself once they hit the teen years. I'm already dreading the conversations I'll be having with my daughter..."Leave your brother's friends alone!!" And to my son..."Leave your sister's friends alone!!!". ;)

Smerdyakov said...

Your dog's behavior is very common. Some even revert to their own puppy bad habits.
While it's better to prep a dog before the new baby arrives, there are still some things you can do to minimize negative behavior.
1. be sure to act relaxed and comfortable while the dog is in the same room as the baby. If he senses that you're uncomfortable, he will think the baby is the source. Reward his good behavior around the baby.
2. Don't leave dirty diapers around.
3. Redirect his stealing of your child's things to his own toys. Praise him when he plays with his own things.
4. Try to make time to play with the dog so he doesn't feel excluded.

Michelle said...

We have done most of the things you suggested, but I never thought about the dirty diapers. I don't leave them laying around the house, but I do keep wet diapers in a bag in the bathroom for a few days at a time. And come to think of it, he is sniffing in there all the time.

I'll have to remove them and remember to give the dog even more attention. It's just so easy to collapse at the end of the night when the baby is in bed instead of starting a good tug of war with
Bailey.

Thanks for the adivce. I can still fall back on the Captain though, right?

Lori said...

Just checking in to make sure all is well in your world and that things worked out all right.

Our poor dog puts up with so much, including the four of us and 18 cats who love to cuddle up to him!

Smerdyakov said...

A wise and insightful philosopher once said -
"Alcohol? Now there's a temporary solution!"

Smerdyakov said...

I expect full participation -

http://anonymousassclown.blogspot.com/2005/11/name-that-potty-contest-with-prizes.html