I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Stop Here for Reality Check

Ah yes, Mother's Day. Ranks right up there with Christmas in the holiday stress level of family gatherings. With seven siblings and 23 grandchildren running throughout a few crowded rooms, someone's bound to snap right?

I enjoy Mother's Day. I do. There was a time right after Owen died, that Mother's Day was just another reminder of what I didn't have and I shot evil glances at the mom's in church that seemed less than enthusiastic about their day of honor.

This year, I look at mother's in a different light. A comical perspective. As I grew bored with the message, I let my eyes drift over each of the little families in church yesterday. Most of the moms looked tired and annoyed, having no doubt waken up early to retrieve their offspring from the warm confines of bed to fight about breakfast choices and appropriate church apparel. Some moms in the rush of getting the family ready to go, looked like they somehow forgot to comb their own hair. I reach up subconsciously to smooth my own tangled locks. Then there comes a loud bang from somewhere in the middle section of pews followed by a brief period of silence and then earth shattering wails. A mother stands up with a boy tossed across her hip and makes her way to the back of the sanctuary with a look of embarrassed apology on her tired face. Her other children whimpering in her wake.

I think of my grown children and of my little one and marvel at the amount of work and energy level that each age group takes. I sigh a contended little sigh knowing they are secure in my love for them.

To all the moms out there and to all the woman who desperately want to be mothers, hang in there.

© 2006 Michelle (nnm)

6 comments:

Renee said...

Great post.. I know exactly what you mean.

Anonymous said...

Ummmmmmmm....

I thought I was the only one who felt sorry for themselves.

I remember father's day last year. Most of the fathers where sleeping in church becuase they had worked six days the prior week. The other sleepers where hung over:)

I still love you and I love my mom!

Anna MR said...

Hey naive, commenting on your previous post (your personal history of bad marriage etc). I have a similar background, with the person closest to me spending years eroding my persona, to the point of it almost not existing. It is great to find your way back, isn't it? Keep on keepin' on, girl...

chesneygirl said...

I'm tryin....

but weekends like this past one...don't make it easy.

Thank you for your kind comment on my post today. :)

Martie said...

Naive, it's much easier when you are the "Grandma". Love ya, kiddo!

Cheetarah1980 said...

motherhood sounds like a lot of work. a whole lot of work. i don't think i'll ever be that responsible.