I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Island

Mackinac that is, pronounced Mack-e-naw for those of you who aren't from the north. Mackinac is a beautiful place to go, even when it's cold and rainy. It is very touristy in the summer months, but it's also a little like stepping back in time.

After a 20 minute ferry ride across Lake Huron, arrival on the island is the beginning of your horse or bike transport. It's the only way to get anywhere unless you want to foot it, which sucks when it's blustery cold and the rain drops are slushy.

The only motorized vehicles on the island consist of an ambulance and a fire truck which ironically, crashed into each other as they were racing to meet some ferry passengers that got a little roughed up on the turbulent waters.

Shops! There are shops and bistros galore on Main Street and what is a quaint little setting during the day turns into Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras at night. There is no cover charge for most of the bars and the alcohol flows like water. Since no one has to drive, there isn't any holding back when it comes to limit. What people fail to realize though is that they still need to ride their bike back to their residence or hotel after 10 or 12 rounds. I seriously think biking is more dangerous than driving a vehicle when you are drunk. About 1 a.m. things get really interesting. We're talking some metal mangling, knock-the-wind-out-you bike crashes.

The wedding was beautiful, but cold. It was right on the water so the bride was wrestling with her veil for the entire ceremony. At one point, it was wrapped around her head twice and I sensed a bit of panic from her when she couldn't find her way out. The music didn't work, the kids freaked out and wouldn't sing their solo and the rose petals we threw went up and blew away instead of making a romantic path for the newly married couple to glide over. At least the sun came out during the exchange of vows before the skies opened up in time to transport all 50 guests in carriages to Main Street for the reception. The bride looked like an Afghan dog when it was all said and done.

Despite the weather, we had a good time with our friends on the island. I can't seem to catch up on my sleep though. I feel exhausted. I'd like to post pictures, but looking through them, there aren't many that I feel comfortable sharing. I have a special one for you, Dribbler that I can't post here either. Think Ronald McDonald.

Here are some pictures I can show:

The view from our hotel.


Main Street.
The docks.


And I couldn't resist taking this picture on the ride home. Is this a suggestion or a warning?

Humorously, there was no squeegee in the bucket!

16 comments:

i used to be me said...

Glad you're back! That looks like a cool place to visit, I'd like to go there. I haven't tried to ride a bicycle in years, I'm sure I'd end up as a casualty, especially if alcohol is involved.

chesneygirl said...

OMG!! Did you see my brother there? He was there this weekend too! He and his girlfriend went...not to a wedding, they went for some Zoo de Mac bike ride thing.
But they too were telling me about all the passengers on their ferry that were throwing up all over from the turbulence! Eeewwww!! They did not, however, tell me about the emergency vehicles crashing into each other....TOO FUNNY!!

I haven't been to the island since I was a little girl and don't remember it much. I've really been itchin' to go recently....someday!

So nice to hear you had a nice time away! :)

clew said...

Don't they know that posting a sign like that is just ASKING for squeegee theft???

Glad you hd a nice time - Missed you, sis!

Joy said...

Welcome back NNM! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. And from the pictures you posted, that Mackinaw Island looks so quaint! I'd love to visit the place one of these days. :)

Me said...

I'm so glad you posted about this! You see - I have friends who have been there (and one went on her honeymoon there) but no one has ever told me that it turns into party town at night!

:)

Martie said...

I love the island. But I'm glad I stayed home with your kids.....Drew and I had a blast and Em, Steve and I had a movie night Saturday night. Some good old fashioned Grandma/Grandkid bonding! Thanks for letting me have the kids for the weekend! :)

Cheryl said...

Am I evil for laughing about the veil?

Lisa M. said...

Welcome back!

I am so glad you had a nice time, and I love quaint little places like that.

Interestingly enough, there is a lake here in Utah that has a fish indiginous to one particular lake, called "Mackinaw." A large variety of rainbow trout, that are really enourmous.

Really, its great to have you back!

Stacy said...

My husband and I went to Mackinac four years ago for our anniversary. Sounds like we'll have to hit Main Street at night on our next trip there.

Spin_Doc1 said...

I am going to get a bike and try to ride it drunk! There is a country club about 3 miles from my new place (on the hated golf course). Drinking and Driving here I come!

Michelle said...

Genius~ Just get a tandem bike and make someone else do the work. Every time they turn around, you can pretend you're peddaling.

Chesney~ I very well could have seen your bro. There were lots of crazies. I heard they were changing the name of the Zoo de Mac to the Zoo de Freeze your Nuts off.

Clew~ I'd like to tell you I took the squeegee, but it was another thug.

IJM~ Someday, we'll bike Mackinac or your east coast island together.

Joy~ I'll give you your own guided tour.

Meritt~ Yes, it's literally a night and day difference. I enjoy both!

Martie~ Thanks again for keeping an eye on things here for us.

Cheryl~ Definitely not evil. I laughed about everything, but I have a weird sense of humor that way. I laugh if someone falls down. I know, not good!

Lisa M~ I don't know if we even have Mackinaw fish near Mackinac. I'll have to check it out.

Detroiter~ Lemme just tell you the best bars to go to are Horn's and Goodfellas.

Spinner~ Make sure you get pictures of that too. :)

Cheetarah1980 said...

hey, I know where Mackinac Island is. We live in the same state. Who knew!

Bainwen Gilrana said...

You went to Mackinac Island and didn't mention the fudge? Isn't that, I don't know, illegal or something? ;-)

Rebecca said...

FUN!!!!!! Glad you had a great time!!! :)

Missed you - although I was busy being Stay at Home Mom this past week. :) So I was sort of on hiatus too! :)

Michelle said...

Cheetah~ I think we even live near the same city!

Bainwen~ Oooh, the fudge. How could I forget. We all got a free brick at the reception and we went sampling too. Each of the hundreds of fudge shops will let you taste test whatever flavor you want. You really don't need to buy any! :)

Rebecca~ Isn't it funny that being at home affords you less time on the computer.

BarnGoddess_01 said...

fudge and saltwater taffey. dont ride the horses there, they are barn sour mean nags!