I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Different Course

I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. When I was little, I used to copy chapter books word for word and pretend that I had written them (before I knew what plagiarism meant). In middle school and high school, my term papers and book reports always carried high marks and my friends would beg me to write their papers too. My Creative Writing teacher even used one of my poems for teaching purposes which he still uses today in class. It started out:

Pegasus flew me
with his mighty wings
to a mythical mansion
where held captive - my king
(Give me a break, I was only 14)

I went to college on a Sullivan scholarship for writing. I earned my diploma in business, but received a minor in English. Again, my essays and reports were well received by my profs.

During the rocky years of my first marriage, I lost interest in a lot of things. I came to believe that I wasn't good at anything, especially writing. Part of it was due to the intense verbal abuse and part of it hinged on my own maturity level. It's easy to say that you don't care what someone thinks about you and your work, but when the people who are supposed to love you most berate you, the already low confidence level sinks even further.

After the divorce six years later, I decided to try my hand at writing again. I enrolled in a writer's class, but I was very rusty. The hardest part was trying to undo everything I came to believe about myself. By the end of the six month course, with the help of my instructor, I had a children's book ready to publish. I opted for the children's market because they are such a forgiving market with very little critics. Kids like anything, right? I never even sent the manuscript out. I never want to.

When I had proved to myself that I could at least do it, I set my writing goals aside to raise my children and start a new life. I was okay with that decision. Other things were more important to me at the time and I had yet to learn the fine art of balancing career, kids, and time for myself. I focused all my energies on the kids and our business.

Ten years later, the desire to write was awakened in me again after our son Owen died. I wrote a lot of poetry in the few months after his death and even started three separate books. Each with a different perspective on the silent death of stillbirth.

If I thought my writing skills were rusty before, they were all but corroded at this point. It was even harder to form tangible thoughts and more difficult to put them smoothly on paper. It was an easy decision to abandon my dream once again.

Five years later, this blog is a result of my restlessness. My urge to write is somewhat fulfilled by my ramblings here, but it still isn't enough. I decided last December that I wanted to follow my dream once again and write a book. But this time, I wanted to go about it differently. Rather than jump right in and become overwhelmed yet again, I decided to devote at least a half hour a day to writing something - anything. To do writing exercises daily to strengthen my craft. I subscribed to magazines such as Writer's Digest and Narrative Magazine in an effort to get "back in touch" with today's markets. The result is a notebook brimming with ideas and descriptive writings, poems and a bunch of ramblings that don't make any sense. And I continue to fill it daily even if it's simply writing down a quote that I think I'll reference someday.

I often wonder what will become of my little journals and scraps of paper if something ever happens to me. Who will find them and read them? What will they think about the person they didn't really know? Would they throw my thoughts away or treasure them as a keepsake?

Either way, I'm at least working toward my dream and have developed some habits that will make the journey easier.

(Yeah, my day got drastically rearranged and I had more time than I originally thought)

© 2006 Michelle (nnm)

18 comments:

clew said...

You know I'm your biggest fan. And the only reason IJM is first in line is because you already sent me a pre-release autographed copy. Pthth! ;)

Me said...

It's great to see you haven't lost interest. I was into both writing and drawing... and good at both.

But then came marriage and children and truly? I lost interest in both. I did start to write a bit about 5 years ago - it was more of a horror novel but I scared myself and had to delete it all. (Seriously!) I have no real interest anymore.

I just blog cuz no one else is around to listen to me! LOL.


Follow that dream girly! Can't wait to say "I knew her when........"

Anonymous said...

Hi, Naive
This is Jenny's daughter Becky, she just made me read all of the posts since she's been gone over the phone. She says to tell you hi and that she hopes to be back online soon.

chesneygirl said...

This is great naive!!
Never never give up on dreams even if they seem like that's all they'll ever be...."you just never know" :)

I've never been much of a writer, still not, but blogging sure is a blast!! ;)

btw, I'll be 3rd in line! :)

Ame said...

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." (can't remember the reference)

Your journey ... depth of amazing character developed ... fighting to regain self esteem ... dying with your son yet having to find a way to live ... guiding and nurturing children ... making little choices that add up to a whole ... you're writing will be incredible because of who you've become ... undefeated by life.

Your "relentlessness" is the Holy Spirit pushing you forward to fulfill and become the beautiful woman God created before He created the foundations of the world!

As you allow Him to, He will begin to reveal to you how He is taking all these fragmented pieces of your life and creating a whole that is incredible and your writing will reflect all of that and more!

GO Michelle!!! STAY in there ... God has some really cool stuff to do with you through your writing!

"A different course?" Hummmm ... perhaps ... perhaps not ... perhaps it's the course you've been on all along.

And I'm so sorry to hear abou Owen (as I'm new here). I cannot relate. I watched my brother experience the same many years ago. I cannot imagine the pain.

Nelly said...

It's always best to have written goals. It sounds like you have never really strayed from your dream of writing, although in different styles/forms. Stay with it N!

Martie said...

Never, ever, give up your dreams! Sometimes they are all you have left to remind you to keep on "keeping on."

I am so proud of you in so many ways!

Rebecca said...

Never give up your dreams Michelle. When the dreams are gone, we die.....

Have a lovely Mother's Day!

Spin_Doc1 said...

I knew a man that started chasing his dream of becoming a bullet bike racer at 25. I respected him for going for his dream even if he was considered too old to start and I totally respect your efforts too.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I think you are a very gifted writer. I actually didn't know that you minored in English and had a scholarship due to your talent in writing, but I've always (moreso now as I read your blog), thought you had a gift. I wish you'd finish those books you talked about after you lost Owen. I know they would benefit many people and it seems a shame not to put it all out there. I can't wait until you're a famous writer and I can go on Oprah and say, "Hey, there was a time when I called her sis!" You need to pursue your dreams!

Michelle said...

IJM ~ Thank you, you can have a copy for free.

Clew ~ Remember the joint effort we attempted?

Meritt ~ Your talent shines through in your blog. I would never have guessed that you lost interest in writing.

Becky ~ Welcome and thanks for commenting for your mom. Mom's can be such a pain, huh? ;)

Chesney ~ Thank you. I'll send you a book too.

Ame ~ That was a lovely comment. Thank you so much. I think when I am feeling defeated, I'll come back and re-read it.

Nelly ~ I never really thought of it that way, but I guess you are right. :)

Martie ~ You have to be proud, you're my mom.

Thanks Rebecca! Happy Mother's Day to you too!!

Dribbler ~ For you, I'd pretty much arrange anything and shit.

Spinner ~ Thanks for that. That was good to hear.

Cathy ~ Someday sis. You'll definitely have the dedication page.

Cheryl said...

It's interesting to know this side of you. I agree, and you are a gifter writer. Blogging helps keep the "writing muscles" in shape, doesn't it? I'll be waiting for that autographed copy, too.

Ame said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Cheetarah1980 said...

just found your blog through another blogger. it seems that once you're a writer, in some way you always will be. If the same desires keep popping up over and over again, they may not stop until you really pursue them. good luck.

Nunzia said...

that's really awesome that you haven't given up on your dream! i did the same thing as you as a kid... I re-wrote Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nhym and made mine about birds with the same story LOL Keep at it! God gave you that desire for a reason!

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»