I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Spoken Between True Friends

The girls on my street are going out for dinner and drinks tonight, while the guys stay home and cook moose steaks and drink beer. Most of our gatherings are couples events, but once in a while we go our separate ways and let loose a little bit. I've been looking forward to tonight - a chance to leave work and cleaning and kids and just relax in the company of good girlfriends.

Good girlfriends. Tonight's outing got me thinking about the different types of friends I have in my life. I have you all, my blogging buddies who know more about me than most of my neighbors because I've let you into my sick little mind. I have childhood friends that keep in touch only out of respect for the amount of years we put in when we were growing up. Had we met later in life, I doubt we'd be close. I have my real life friends that I laugh with and drink with and share fun and work alike. But nothing compares to the bond between true friends. A true friend to me is someone you feel completely comfortable around, someone you can tell anything to without fear of being judged and a true friend is someone who will tell you what you need to hear.

I have three such friends.

Clew, my long distance best friend is my compass and support. I don't remember not knowing her. We've seen each other through heartache and happiness, silliness and fights. I run to the computer to tell her about people who've pissed me off, stupid things I've done and when I need advice on how to keep myself out of the nut house. Even though she is geographically distant, she is never far from my heart.

Then there is Molly. She is my neighbor and my best, real life accessible friend. I can call her day or night and she's always there for me. She is my drinking buddy and my confidante. We've shared moments of laughter when neither could stand up, held each other's hair to puke, held a nervous hand at the hospital, and have racked up countless hours of conversation.

Sherries friendship goes beyond the realm of friends. She knows EVERYTHING about me and I her. No matter what happens in each of our lives, even when we don't talk for months, we will always be there for each other, our bond is deeper than blood.

Each of these friends hold a special place in my life and I couldn't live happily without either of them. The following are conversational tidbits between us that let's me know for certain, we are true friends.

CONVERSATIONS WITH CLEW:

Clew: Man I gotta fart!
Me: letting one rip
Both: hysterical laughter

**********************

Me: What do you think of these colors together?
Clew: cocks head back slightly and raises an eyebrow You might want to rethink them?
Me: Yeah?
Clew: looking side to side Unless you want to look my grandmother's afghan.

CONVERSATIONS WITH MOLLY:

Me: I hope I don't pass out
Molly: If you pass out, I'm having them pierce your nipples too!

**********************

Molly: Hello parking lot pavers! flirting with a couple guys as she's getting into the car
Me: Get in the car you whore.

**********************

At a clothing store trying on this cute little brown pair of cotton gouchos.
Me: Ready, I'm coming out.
Molly: laughter ~ the kind that you try to stifle and it ends up rushing between your teeth causing spit to be sprayed everywhere.
Me: shutting the door ~ Thanks.
Molly: still laughing
Me: Ok, you can stop already. I'm taking them off.
Molly: laughing ~ I can't help it. You look like a clown.

And this is how I know they are my true friends. Not just the kind that say, "you can call me anytime". The ones that have proved their loyalty and their love to me over and over again. Who could ask for better friends?

28 comments:

Martie said...

How blessed you are to have all three! You're one lucky girl, naive!! ;)

clew said...

AWWE! Love you sis!!! I'm so lucky to be on this list!

p.s. I gotta poop. I'm crowning -- Can you smell it? LOL ~

clew said...

p.p.s. I gotta meet Molly next time I'm up there. Can you imagine the ruckus?

Michelle said...

Crowing! Kills me everytime. I'd hate to see the trouble the three of us would get into.

chesneygirl said...

You are so lucky to have friends like this!!!
I envy you cause I long for just one of any of these types of friends all the time. Most of my friends have drifted away and I rarely see or even talk to any of them anymore.

Itchy said...

I've got to second what Chesneygirl said. I was reminded this morning that I do have a few friends...but not like what you mention here. And I so miss that. Just having someone to hang out with, have fun with, be a girl with, be ME with. I miss that. You are very lucky to have that and its nice to see that you know it and appreciate it.

Michelle said...

Chesney & Itchy ~ I've had friends my whole life, but none like the 3 I mentioned in this post. And they didn't come until later. Don't be discouraged.

Renee said...

You ARE lucky to have 3 close friends. I wish I could say the same. :(

Plimco said...

It makes me happy when your blog reads like a script.

Stacy said...

Naive-no-more, this was such a lovely post to read. I'm in the same boat as some of your other commenters. Close adult friends are so hard to find; it's encouraging to know that you found yours later in life.

Martie said...

clew ~ when you are up visiting you may NOT meet Molly.....the three of you together would be just too much chaos for the state of Michign too handle!

naive ~ you keep her away from Molly!

Michelle said...

Renee, It's Just Me and Detroiter ~ It's seems that this is a universal problem. I think we just get too busy with our lives that we forget to live in the process.

Plimco ~ If they ever make my life story into a movie, I want you to play the part of me!

Michelle said...

Yeah I was thinking the same thing Martie!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't ask for any better than the three I have.

Anonymous said...

Could I get my nipples pierced?

Joy said...

nnm, what a wonderful post! i have many friends from all walks of life, who hail from different parts of Canada and the US, but I have three tried and true friends, much like yourself, who probably know me inside out. Frighteningly enough, sometimes even better than myself!

Michelle said...

I'm so happy that you have that Joy! If we lived closer, I might be one of them.

clew said...

Martie, hush your biscuit hole!

i used to be me said...

I used to make friends easily but with moving around so much I think I sort of closed myself off from it. I can't say I've made one close friend in the last 8 years or so, and I miss it. Lucky girl!

Michelle said...

Genius ~ Ahem. Hello? What about me?

i used to be me said...

and then there's NIAVE, who has so graciously taken me under her wing...my dry spell is over! ;)

Rebecca said...

What a great post!! You are definitely fortunate to have three
"best friends". :)

There's nothing better than girlfriends. Isn't it a sin that sometimes we dont' realize that until later on in life. If only we recognized the goddesses that we are as teens. We'd get so much more accomplished as women if we liked each other more, younger!

That's awesome. I think that I'd have been friends with you and Clew too. ;)

Plimco said...

I'd be honored...

i used to be me said...

did ya have fun? huh? huh?

Anonymous said...

True friends are as precious as the air we breath. They comfort us when we are downa nd make us feel better when things are going good.

Nelly said...

It is so good to read about friendships. I have 2 true friends from high school (one I work with) and one that lives very close. It is chaos everytime we get together. Another friend is in Kansas (me and the "other two" are meeting up with her there on May 18th). It is going to be a wild weekend in KS! I hope they're ready for us.

LOL Clew! Crowning! I almost pissed myself when I read that!

Michelle said...

Rebecca~ I'm certain of it!!!

Plimco~ No, I'd be honored.

Genius~ A riot. Look for the post momentarily.

Ruben~ Very well put!

Nelly~ Hope you have a wonderful time reconnecting with your friends.

clew said...

WOOHOO! I'm comment #30!

My only chance at ever being 30 again ... HANH!

Love you sis!