I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Captain Crash and the Beauty Queen from Mars

I was confronted with a rather awkward incident this afternoon.

Let me set the scene.

In an impulsive decision to descend on my house in a freakish cleaning frenzy, I tossed a load of whites into the washer before tackling my acres of hardwood flooring. Because I was wearing some white capris that I wanted washed, I pealed those off and threw them in with the mix. I proceeded to vacuum the floor in my underwear and blue, Redondo Beach hooded sweatshirt.

The 18 month old who was toddling around with his plastic zoo animals kept handing me shoes. For some reason, he's engrossed with me having my flip flops on. To keep him happy and out from under the vacuum head, I took his offering and slid my right foot into a black flip flop. Shortly after that, he carried a bright pink plastic garden clog to me, which I distractedly placed on my left foot. He stood drinking his apple juice and watching me suck up dog hair, satisfied that my outfit was complete.

I didn't hear the knock at the front door.

My neighborhood is of the variety that people borrow stuff and when they return it, they don't hesitate to knock on your door and if you don't answer, just open it to put whatever they are returning on the inside. One might even venture all the way to the kitchen to place said item on the counter. Being that he heard the vacuum and not thinking that I might not be properly dressed, one of my neighbors steps into my entryway and encounters me in this costume. Stunned would best describe the emotion that entered his face.

At this point, explanations might only complicate the situation further so I turned off the vacuum and shimmied my sweatshirt down as far as it would go before I croaked out a pathetic, "Hi". My emotion wasn't quite embarrassment, but rather resigned disappointment at realizing the only shred of cool I may have had, is forever gone.

19 comments:

Martie said...

Oh this is too funny! I sit here lauging so hard I have tears running down my cheeks! I wish I had been a speck of dust on your floor.....I can only imagine the look on both your faces.....Ha ha ha ha

Cheryl said...

That is SO Susan on Desperate Housewives. And I bet you're as sexy as Teri Hatcher, too.

Michelle said...

I've never seen Desperate Housewives so I wouldn't know, but I can assure you they'd cast Teri Hatcher any day over my un-sexy vacuum attire.

chesneygirl said...

OH MY GOD!!!
NO WAY!!!
Too funny, but I would've died!!!

Cheryl's right...SO Susan!

Joy said...

Girl, you rock! That was awesome!!!

clew said...

Don't be ridiculous. This has merely cemented your coolness in the annals of cosmic legend.

Yes, that's annals, not anals. Pthth.

Spin_Doc1 said...

You have all the fun! I am jealous.

i used to be me said...

You are so cute! Next time you're cleaning in your undies and mismatched shoes make sure the door is locked! Thanks for the chuckle, I needed it.

Rebecca said...

UUUUUUUUGh.
I HATE when that happens!!!!!!!!! ;)

hahaha.... that was awesome.

Smerdyakov said...

Stamp

Bainwen Gilrana said...

*falls down laughing*

Lori said...

;-)

(Am back, here and there! Have missed reading your blog and will try to get back online ASAP!)

HUGS!

Michelle said...

Thanks all for showing your true support by laughing at me.

Anonymous said...

Get back to work!

But please work in the outfit you described:)

Nunzia said...

awww haha don't worry! it's always good for a guy to know you can look like a normal person and still get dressed up and look like a siren!

*** said...

OMG, that is so funny! I totally got a visual there.

And don't you just love kids? I can remember my son doing similar things. FLip-flops are quite fascinating and I love the way kids always step back and kind of take it all in silently. It's awesome!

i used to be me said...

c'mon ms naive, grace us with another story ;) we weren't laughing at you, we were laughing with you

Martie said...

don't believe "unacknowledge genius" we ARE laughing at you!!

Renee said...

Oh gosh, that's too funny. But he might have liked it . . you never know what other people find 'sexy'. ;^)