I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Bumblebee

Aerodynamically, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know this so he goes on flying anyway. ~Mary Kay Ash

Like every child, I began my life as the bumblebee. Never questioning my limits. Never giving impossiblity a second thought, certain that I could achieve all my wild dreams.

As child turned teenager, social acceptance taught me to doubt the very foundation of ideas that made me unique. She taught me that I had to make others happy even if it meant not being true to myself. She showed me that my fragile wings shouldn't be able to carry my awkward body.

Years of believing these notions faded to reluctant acceptance that I sold myself short. I killed the bumblebee without ever knowing the beauty of that blissful ignorance; before I could cement that concept into my personality; before I was able to arrive at my full potential.

14 comments:

clew said...

*

I so hear you, sistah.

Loveys ~

Martie said...

I'm sorry to hear that!

Nunzia said...

i think we all started that way... but glad it helped shape who you are!

chesneygirl said...

very interesting analogy!

Stacy said...

Very sobering. Your post reminded me of a line in a Red Hot Chili Peppers song about how we regret the things we haven't done.

Joy said...

Ever read that book, Reviving Ophelia, by Dr. Mary Pipher? Your post reminded me of this particular book. Pipher address issues that cause females, in their early teen years, to stifle their creative spirit, and natural impulses, which ultimately destroys their self-esteem. *Sigh* I wish I my parents had a resources like this when I was 13 years old. Heck, I wish I had this resource!

Girl, you are a beautiful woman, strong and graceful! *hugs*

Cheryl said...

I've flown through (kind of like a bumblebee) and haven't had time to stop and comment. Sounds like you've been busy. And your daughter is SO pretty! She gets that from you, lady.

Michelle said...

Clew~ **

Martie~ No need to be sorry.

Nan~ You are definitely right.

CG~ Thanks!

It's Me~ EXACTLY!!!!

Detroiter~ Welcome to my blog. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Joy~ I haven't read that book, but I read this quote and then right after that I heard this story about a kid that didn't know this particular owner of a company was a mean old man. People tried to trick him into selling to this old man. The kid believed that the guy really wasn't mean and ended up selling a huge contract with him and they became friends. The point ~ if he would have gone in scared, he probably wouldn't have made the sale. The bumblebee quote stuck after that.

Did that make sense? It's so long.

Cheryl~ YOU are my new best friend. :)

i used to be me said...

you and me both, m'dear.

we should do a thelma and louise and cut loose....but I wanna be the one that gets brad pitt

Michelle said...

I thought they both got Brad. We can share.

clew said...

You two are sick. SICK I TELL YOU!

i used to be me said...

aw heck, I'll share....I mean it IS brad pitt. You can come along too, Clew. We'll forgo the going over the cliff thing though.

clew said...

Thanks, but I have a hot date with Matthew McCaughnehay that day. Pthth! ;)~

Michelle said...

Who needs guys if we have us three? Kidding. KIDDING!