I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Friday, March 17, 2006

What are your chances of getting lucky today?

According to research, not very good. Only one in ten thousand if you're searching for a four leaf clover.

In honor of St. Patricks Day, I decided to do some research on our little clover friend. I remember searching for them as a child and recall even finding a few. I can't say that I have been overly lucky through out my life though, and now I know why. Apparently, they don't hold any mystical lucky powers, the four-leaf clover is caused either by genetic or environmental factors.

According to legend, each leaf represents something. One leaf is for FAITH, the second for HOPE, the third for LOVE, and the fourth, naturally, for LUCK! In Irish tradition the Shamrock or three-leaf clover represents the Holy Trinity: one leaf for the Father, one for the Son and one for the Holy Spirit. When a Shamrock is found with the fourth leaf, it represents God's Grace.

So, friends, armed with these new found facts, let me save you the time you'd spend in the clover patch looking for a little quadrant of luck and just wish all of you good fortune and good cheer.

12 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow. Good thing God's grace isn't REALLY that scarce. I'd be in serious trouble. ;)

i used to be me said...

okay, i'll quit looking for four leaf clovers but i don't think i can give up kissing the blarney stone.

clew said...

Interesting! I'll have to remember that if I'm ever on Jeopardy.

(You know I seriously find it interesting. I LOVE this stuff!)

clew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
clew said...

Sorry, that was me - double posted my comment. Blogger is trippin' today.

Bainwen Gilrana said...

I can't possibly be the first one to think of this comment or a variation thereof, can I?

"I guess it depends on your definition of 'getting lucky'!"

Spin_Doc1 said...

I have never fond one, I guess God does not like me all that much.

Martie said...

I have found several 4-leaf clovers over my lifetime and consider myself "very lucky"! I have 5 beautiful children, 14 (soon to be 15) wonderful grandchildren, a husband who loves me, and I can get out of bed everyday and move about freely! Now if that aint' "lucky", I don't know what is!!

Theresa said...

Thank you for the good wishes and the lovely post.

Michelle said...

Bainwen, the title was supposed to tickle that thought in everyone, but you are the only one that said something. Naughty girl.

Anonymous said...

I could have used a four leaf clover last night. I got drunk and my cousins shaved of my moustache while I was sleeping. Those bastards!

Rebecca said...

Hey Miss Naive -
Just sent you an email about your beer party. ;)

I never knew the history of the 4 leaf clover....very nice! Thanks for sharing! :)

Hmmm. I dont know if I can give up looking for them though. Its sort of like not looking for the pot of gold at the end of each rainbow! It just keeps the dream alive.... ;)