I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Down on the Farm

And the man at the back said everyone attack, and it turned into a ballroom blitz. This one line of this Krokus song has been in my head for about four days now. It's driving me quite mad! Now that that's out of the way, I can get to the details of the past few days.

I mentioned (complained) that I was going to be insanely busy last week and in fact, the busyness has trickled well into this week too. A few things that I didn't anticipate were thrown into the mix, but for the protection of the innocent, I can't blog about it. Too many people I know have been busted writing about people they know, then spend weeks trying to mend fences. But, it would make for really good blogging fodder if I could write about it.

To steal a phrase from Plimco, the siding job is coming along swimmingly. Well, not really, I've just been wanting to use swimmingly in a sentence. Smirk. Actually, the siding job is killing me. I failed to communicate that this job we are working on is an addition to an old farm house. I also failed to mention that this family has a working pig farm.

All day long, I hear, "uhRHEEE, RHEEE, ungthth" and squealing like someone is getting murdered. I suppose the pigs are cute enough, but they are nothing like the sort EB White speaks of. They are much bigger than I imagined, even being a girl from the country and having some knowledge as to the goings on of farms. These are the fellas that greet me every time I journey to the barn next to their pen to gather more siding material. (Our stuff has to be kept enclosed otherwise the birds will poop all over it - yes, there's that many.)


Too bad pictures can't portray a smell. See that mud that they're standing it. It's not mud. The brown one is the male of the bunch. Know how I know? He was on top of the pink ones all day long!

As if pigs weren't enough, they have two big lumus black labs, Buddy and Bosco that think it's a game when they steal a freshly cut piece of siding and go running around with it in their mouths, head held high, while I chase them threatening to feed them to the pigs. And cows....


Cows, I think, are the most curious of all creatures. Every time I look over at them, this is exactly what I see. They are all staring at me.

Today was a rainy day. Cold rain. I wasn't very happy about that. Not only did I have water dripping on me from the roof, but rain always makes a farm smell worse than it really is. And everything was muddy. When I used to build full time, it was great fun to ask a person who was jumping around holding his thumb and cussing a blue streak, "did you just hit your hand?". Not so fun anymore. Especially when you're the one with the busted thumb. What do you expect when you're on wobbly scaffolding up in the air trying to nail a one and half inch nail.


Here's a close up in case you don't believe it's me.


All right then, that's what I've been doing all week. Now I get to play catch up on everything else that went neglected, including blogging.

16 comments:

Martie said...

Nice pics of the job you are doing and also of the farm critters.

I hope the people you wanted to blog about but didn't dare didn't include me!

BTW, I like the use of the word "swimmingly"; especially due to the rain today!

Michelle said...

No, of course it wasn't you. But I'll tell you who it was about later.

Cheryl said...

So Martie gets special info just because she's family? Geez.

Look at you! You don't need the gym, climbing around with a hammer like that.

Nice pig pics.

Martie said...

I just re-read this post and....."The brown one is the male of the bunch. Know how I know? He was on top of the pink ones all day long!" I always knew you were the brightest lightbulb in the package!! LOL

Joy said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere nnm! You've been missed. *hugs*

clew said...

Pigs are indeed odiforous to say the least.

I better get the gossip too! (stomping foot) It's nice to see you back on your blog!

Spin_Doc1 said...

Oh no naive, you take the prize; working in or around a farm makes my day look fun.

Plimco said...

Those cows won't stop staring at me now either. Thanks.

Ps. I had no idea I use the word "swimmingly" that much. Gracious. I am such a dork...

Itchy said...

I find the picture of you installing siding very sexy! Not in a creepy strange lady on the internet calling me sexy kind of way, of course. :)

Nunzia said...

hmm... in this case, I'm a little RELIEVED that pictures cant convey smell :)

*** said...

Ah, lucky you...pigs. I lived in Sioux Falls, SD for at least six years right down from the John Morrell slaughter house. The sight and smell of pigs is overwhelmingly present daily.

The bit about the cows and the picture was really funny. Thanks for the laugh!

Nelly said...

Nice job naive!!! What a dirty mess though! Especially since it rained. YUCK! Cold, rainy and working outside in it...no thanks!

Glad you're back and blogging! Missed ya last week!

Anonymous said...

And the girl in the corner said, "Boy I really want you." And it turned into the ..........

Now it is in my head.

Tanks bunches!

My daughter doesn't believe me that pigs can fly-I'm getting a big rubber band for my back deck this year and we shall see:)

i used to be me said...

I read a short story once about a person who couldn't get a song out of his head. He tried everything to lose it and nothing worked until he sang it to someone else who then had their turn at trying to lose it. Thank goodness edh read it before me and I won't be the afflicted one....ready steve?

uh oh

btw I am home again

PS I grew up in SW Kansas, the smelliest place in the world with tons of feedlots. Kansans are fond of saying "that's money you're smellin"

i used to be me said...

ps cont. I want the lowdown on the gossip too!

Anonymous said...

Great new Web Site on installing vinyl siding If you are looking for installing vinyl siding We can help....... Visit ud today at http://allhousesiding.com/home.pl?ceda=seamless&stucco=off