I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Lobster Bake

In all my 37 years, I've never eaten lobster. Can you believe someone that has so much adventure in their life has yet to taste this treat? And I'm doing it right, I tell ya. We, together with our close friends, are having lobster flown in from Maine today and are going to attempt to boil them ourselves. We've got all the fixins:

Tools we'll need to dine
Lobster-themed dinnerware
Crab legs
Shrimp cocktail
Ribs (just in case)
Corn on the cob
Pineapple
Pina Coladas
Beer
Crackers & Cheese

What I'm not prepared for is the killing of these poor creatures. I was so hoping they'd arrive dead having been packed in ice for their commute, but not so. They are coming in a "live crate" with gel ice packs. They will be alive and kicking. I do believe you have to put them head first into boiling water to kill them but the "screaming" you hear is only the air escaping from their shell. And I heard that you can hear them banging against the side of the pot. The nice gentlemen on the other end of the line tried to relax my anxiety by telling me that they don't have vertabrae or a central nervous system and don't feel pain. I'll choose to believe this because I honestly wont be able to kill them. If left up to me, I'll have six pet lobsters come Saturday morning.

Yes, I know ribs used to be alive too, Mr. A,JA, but I'm not the one that actually had to witness their demise or worse, be the cause of it. I feel a little sick to my stomach even thinking about it. And then, what if I don't like them? OH! I wonder if it's too late to cancel the order.

14 comments:

Itchy said...

I'd have to just not be in the house while that was going down. It'd just be too much for me...

Martie said...

I couldn't do it! Kill those poor creatures....and boiling them alive to kill them. How cruel! They probably don't have any nerves so won't feel a thing, but still.....

I can't eat seafood because of my allergy to shellfish, but can I come just for the Pina Colada's? That's what they served at Aunt Sherry's rehearsal dinner in Denver years ago. I love 'em!!

Spin_Doc1 said...

Remember they are just huge insects

Anonymous said...

Let them soak in wine for 10 minutes before cooking. At least they will be drunk:)And, ah, the screaming !

Me said...

... you went to Target didn't you? You saw all the little 'dollar' lobster goodies and just had to buy them didn't you?


(I'm going to get them too, but I'm waiting until they go down to 2/$1.00. LOL).

Joy said...

Sounds like you all are going to have a fabulous time! And don't worry, you're not the only one who's never tried lobster either. My friends and I always joke about driving the 8 hours up to Maine for a lobster dinner. People have apparently done it out here. Heck, I'm always up for a road trip adventure like that! :) have a wonderful time tonight!

i used to be me said...

But Spinner, if you think of them as being huge insects you have to think about eating bugs. eew.

I couldn't do it either, Naive. If I had to kill to eat I'd be eating nuts and berries.

The other day we were in a Mexican food restaurant and as I was perusing the menu I looked up right up into the soulful eyes of a stuffed long horn. I had the chicken.

Renee said...

Yeah, we do that with crawfish, but it does seem a little more cruel doing it with lobsters.
Oh well, happy eating!

BarnGoddess_01 said...

I hope you have a good time! It sounds like fun....thats neat your having the lobsters flown in fresh, Id love to do that....maybe Ill google it and see if they deliver to Okla..

Cheryl said...

I couldn't do it myself--good think I don't much like lobster! Sounds like a great time, though.

Ame said...

I love fun, new things! And all the fixin's and trimmin's too! FUN! Live food? Hummmmmm . . . sounds like a Man's Job to me!!!

I hear lobster's great - I'm with Martie, though ... anaphalactic allergy to shellfish ... keep the epi pen close!!!!!

Theresa said...

I'm practically a vegetarian. I haven't eaten beef, pork, chicken, etc for over 20 years. HOWEVER, I love fish and seafood. It doesn't bother me a bit to kill them and eat them.

Make sure you have lots of butter & lemon, and get really messy when you eat your lobster. It tastes better that way.

i used to be me said...

so how did you like lobster?

Martie said...

How was the lobster dinner with your friends? Did you like the lobster? Did they scream when you cooked them? LOL