I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Allow This MaMa a Little Bragging

I refrained from boasting when my daughter won an award for writing last week and I didn't gush about her high GPA or the speech she wrote for her election to student council, but this I can't pass up. I have to post about her latest honor because I am so proud of her.

She was nominated by a teacher and accepted by members of the Congressional Board to attend the Congressional Youth Leadership Council in January to represent our district. It's a four day conference in which she will learn leadership development (self-awareness, leadership techniques, presentation skills and group dynamics) and then she'll be able to practice leadership skills (conflict management, decision making and project management).

I feel it's an opportunity of a lifetime and she's equally excited about going even though she'll have to make a presentation in front of 430 Congress members and who-knows how many other students. Did I mention she's only going to be a freshmen next year?

17 comments:

Ame said...

SOOOOOO COOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bragging Rights GRANTED!!!!!!!!!!!

Bainwen Gilrana said...

Wow oh wow! You certainly have my permission to brag as much as you want!

Nelly said...

WOW! You certainly should be bragging about her! How wonderful! I've gotta stop my 6 year old from being sent to the principles office! ;)

chesneygirl said...

AWESOME!! You have every right to brag and boast!!!

Good for her!!! :)

i used to be me said...

That IS an honor. Maybe you have our future first woman president under your wing! Congratulations to you and your daughter.

Martie said...

I wondered if you would blog about this. You should be VERY proud of her. I am too! She is already an awesome young woman and just entering her Freshman year of High School. What a wonderful opportunity for her! Love that girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Em. You have every right to brag. I wish I would have been that motivated at her age.

Itchy said...

Eh...

KIDDING!!! Of course I'm kidding! That is really fantastic! What a great opportunity for her. You'd be crazy not to brag about that!

PS - I have missed you. :D

Renee said...

WOW! That's great. You definitely have the right to brag about that.
Good luck to her!

Joy said...

woohooo! girl, you've got every right to brag about your girl!!! :)

Rebecca said...

You SHOULD brag. Loudly and often. :)

I think if more parents bragged - more children would strive to make their parents proud!!!

She should be proud of herself!

Big Ben said...

Just thinking about public speaking is making me nervous right now!

Imelda said...

I don't think we should ever be embarrassed to brag about our kids on our blogs. There should be more of it!

Congrats to the proud Mama and her clever daughter.

MarkD60 said...

Congrats! You don't have to not boast!

Cheryl said...

You are SO allowed to brag! And you certainly may brag more often. Good for her, making her mamma proud, and doing herself proud as well!

Cheetarah1980 said...

you can so brag about that! that's so awesome. actually i'm kind of jealous. do you think she'd take me with her?

Anonymous said...

Wow! You've done well, Michelle. I hope I can raise children as wonderful as yours. I love both Steven and Emily and can't get over how smooth and easy they're making the teenage years look. You are blessed. Congratulations to Emily, I would be proud too. :o)