I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Carousel

Bells ringing, lights flashing wildly, Christmas music playing in place of the normal carnival theme. This is the scene at our local mall very near to the food court and the make shift North Pole where children can tell their deepest desires to Santa. Not the jolly, red-suited, synthetic beard fella either. This Santa looks like the real deal. Real hair and beard, bright blue eyes, rosey cheeks, but only red pants and this pathetically ugly blue pajama top under his suspenders.

We took Drew to have his picture taken last night and after shopping for a half hour, our little pager went off signaling that we only had 15 minutes to get back to the location for our turn. I think they need a new system because we waited in line for 45 minutes once we got back and had to endure little David and Zack-y in front of us. I'm not sure if I wanted to smack them, or their mother. While she chatted on the phone, the kids ran in and out of the gaited line making each person step to the side or move their strollers so the brats could get through. Everyone was annoyed and the mother, oblivious. They hit Drew with their little basketball that they were throwing around, they screamed when I wouldn't move our stroller for them to get out and then they ran into the shot of Drew and Santa. We had to take another picture and of course, Drew wanted down by then and our picture turned out horribly.

We decided to treat ourselves to pizza and lemonade to calm down before finishing our shopping.

We sat by the carousel.

We decided to take Drew for a ride.

Daddy rode with him and the excitement on his face was the best. He clapped his hands and waved to me and Emily and then the horses began to move. The first time he went by, he laughed and clapped. The second time was just a smile. The third, a frown and the fourth time around, Dad was struggling to keep his squirming body in the strap. He was done. I found it very amusing. Half the kids were crying while their parents tried to comfort them and half wanted to go again.

I'm not sure the mall should be the source of children's entertainment. Without fail, there is always a handful of kids having serious meltdown and frustrated parents ready to leave them there.

8 comments:

Martie said...

Some parents think the mall is somewhere to turn your kids loose and not have to watch them. I'm sorry that you had such an awful experience while waiting in line to see "Santa". Someone should have told those brats that Santa could still cancel their Christmas and was watching their every move. Of course, with kids like that, nothing much seems to work; it's the parents that need to be slapped!

I think Drew's picture with Santa is cute anyway! But then, I'm the Grandma!!

Cheryl said...

You are SO right. I avoid the mall, but try to go when I don't have Sweetie Pie with me when I have to go.

clew said...

I feel bad that we didn't take Incrediboy for a picture with Santa. We never have done it! You know me, I HATE that mess at the mall. But the boy would probably love it. Remember the unsolicited welcoming embrace he offered the Easter Bunny? AWWE!

I won't say what I think about David and Zacky AND their Mom, since this is a family show. But you know what I'm thinking.

I will say this. You are a Queen Mom and I idolize you. Seriously! I wish I were more like you. XOXOXOXOXO

Bainwen Gilrana said...

I'm scared of the mall as it is. I mean, if it scares me, a fully grown adult, what must it do to a baby or toddler???

But then, I used to take my brother and cousin all the time when they were little 'uns, and they seem to have suffered no ill effects. Of course, I kept them right with me and didn't let them run around and hit other people's kids!

Anonymous said...

It never fails whenever I go shopping at a mall there is someone with 2-3 kids that are acting as if they had been raised by wolves and the parent is just ignoring it.

clew said...

A few items:

1. You've again been referred to (and linked) at Clew's Blues

2. Got your card

3. It's the cutest card ever,

4. You suck.

5. Love you! Merry Christmas!

Cheryl said...

Came back to wish you a Merry Christmas!

Lori said...

The first time I took my daughter to see Santa at the mall she hated it! All of my family was in town and we took all the kids to the mall for a Santa picture. The poor old elf had two very unhappy babies on his lap, and four very perplexed children standing in front of him!

Wishing you and your family a WONDERFUL and MERRY CHRISTMAS! I'm so glad I found you!