I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Another Currier & Ives Scene

Last night was my neighborhood's annual Christmas Cookie Exchange. I hosted it this year and while normally I stress out trying to get ready for any event, I was looking forward to the night and had a fun time decorating and visiting with my neighbors.

The snow was falling (10" which resulted in a snow day today) and the luminaries that I lined the walk with were picturesque.

Pictures never capture that warm, glowing feel that you see in real life.

There were nine of us in all and we each made three dozen cookies to share. The efforts resulted in a wide variety from Pecan Sandies to Toffee Bars to the traditional sugar cookie cut outs. We had a great time chatting and sharing hot spiced wine, coffee eggnog and crackers and cheese.

Tonight we gather again for our annual Christmas party. I love our neighbors. We have so much fun together. We have a party for almost every holiday and even make up reasons to have parties. We've gone on small weekend camping trips together and with the exception of a few people, we never seem to tire of one another.

Did I mention it's a "fun" association. If one family doesn't show up for a party, they are guaranteed to find a 'for sale' sign in their yard the next day. Or a bra hanging from their flag pole or (very limited) toilet paper streaming from their trees.

Another favorite prank is the panther. One of the neighbors found this old ceramic black panther with a missing paw and the mouth shaped in a perpetual roar at a rental property and brought it home to hide at another house. We never know where the panther will end up next, but last we saw it, it was peeking out from the landscaping at the first house on the street. She was dressed in a leopard bra and thong, had purple Mardi Gras beads around her neck and a red feather hat on.

You can see why we have so much fun. I'm sure there will be a story for me to tell tomorrow about the gathering tonight.

4 comments:

Bainwen Gilrana said...

I don't think I've ever lived anywhere where I felt friendly enough with the neighbors to do anything even remotely like this. How cool!

Anonymous said...

You had hot spiced wine and I wasn't invited? I'm hurt! lol

Rebecca said...

Hey Naive -
You are so right - pictures do no justice to a glow... :)

First off - LOVE your kitchen!!!! I'm openly envious. It's so warm looking - esp. w. the fireplace.

Second: Your neighbors sound like me and my girlfriends! We're having our gift swap tomorrow night (I'm sure I'll be posting pictures!!!) and if someone doesn't come - or if we want to prank someone - each month when we gather together, someone's house is guaranteed to be Lawn Junked. We'll grab random things from our house and bring them - and then someone wakes up with a surprise on their lawn! Or we'll buy some really ugly, ugly pair of shoes, and wrap them up and give them to someone as a gift and pretend to be all serious like they're the hottest fashion! It's so much fun when you can just laugh and have a great time with your friends...

Enjoy your party tonight!
And YES - we got our snow! I just posted about it.... :)

Martie said...

How cool! Treasure those friendships with your neighbors and if you are lucky enough they will be friends forever. I have a few "friends" from the first neighborhood that I lived in and we have been friends for 35 years and to this day, if I needed them all I would have to do is call and they would still be there for me! What a blessing they are!