I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Fun Little Game for the Weekend

I love Cheryl Richardson. Some of you may know her as a motivational speaker, to me she's an organizational guru. She's all about making time for your life and that's right up my alley.

On one her tapes, she suggests doing a little exercise to prove her theory that thoughts are things. Whatever you think about will enter your life. A self-fulfilling prophecy so to speak. What you have to do is think of an object, close your eyes and picture that object, say the name of the object outloud and then wait to see how long before this object appears in your life.

The first time I tried, I chose a swastika as my object. No, I'm not a Nazi - I didn't think a swastika would be an every day sighting and I was trying to prove the theory wrong. Anyway, I thought of the object in the morning and actually forgot about it for the rest of the day. That night at home, I was flipping through cable channels and saw the movie UB571 was playing. I love Bon Jovi, so I selected that channel to get a glimpse of my Jon Jon. As soon as the image was full on the screen, what I saw instead was the swastika. Imagine my surprise!

My husband's object wasn't so simple. He pictured a horseshoe magnet and it didn't appear for him until 3 weeks later on the cover of Money magazine.

I know the mind is a powerful tool, the depths of which we can't understand, but does the power of suggestion really work in this manner or are we simply noticing these things because we are thinking of them. They would have appeared in our lives either way, right? We, under other circumstances, wouldn't have given these objects a second thought.

I moreso believe that the idea behind this game is to show how thinking affects us. If we think negatively, we notice the negative but if we think positively, we notice the positive things in life.

Try it. Let me know what your object was and how long it took to find.

9 comments:

Martie said...

What an interesting theory! I'm going to try it right away and I will let you know, naive-no-more. BTW, I like your style!

Michelle said...

Thanks Martie! ;) I like yours too!

clew said...

I don't know one way or the other, but I can't tell you how often I'm PLAGUED with memory-laden images when something's been on my heart.

It's weird, and sometimes a real PITA. ;)

Cheryl said...

Interesting--I'm going to try this one. I like Cheryl Richardson, too.

Bainwen Gilrana said...

You know, I've also heard of this "game" being used when someone is looking for a sign on how to proceed with something in their life. A close friend of mine is studying to be an Episcopal priest, but she doesn't know how she's going to be able to afford seminary. Obviously it's on her mind a lot. So practically every time she gets to wondering about it, she finds something that's written in Spanish. She took this as a sign that she should be learning Spanish, so she's been studying and getting very fluent, and it turns out there's a seminary in Texas that offers great scholarships to people who are Spanish-fluent.

So maybe this works not only for things we might see, but for things we might need.

I like your blog, by the way. :-)

clew said...

I kind had a Cheryl Richardson moment by accident. There used to be a commercial they played a lot, for a diamond company. Old people walking, young people passing them up and gazing back. All the while this totally melancholy string music is playing - sounds like a mourning dove opera or something. Anyway when my dog was a pup, something about this music got him all crazy. It would come on and he'd stop what he was doing and just tear around the house like an idiot. Even if we imitated the music, he'd get all rowdy. LOL!

We haven't seen this commercial in forever, and over the weekend the hub and I were talking about it and laughing.

Yesterday I saw that commercial twice. I bet I hadn't seen it in 2 years!

Incidentally, the dog has gotten over it. ;)

Michelle said...

Interesting stuff. The swastika appeared for me again Sunday night on a Seinfeld episode of all places. I don't recall seeing one since my last sighting on UB571.

Martie said...

I choose a 'starfish' and thought it would take forever to see one anywhere....but I found one in the strangest place.....an AARP magazine and it only took about 6 days!

Michelle said...

Cool, Martie. I wonder if any one else did this excersize and found their object yet.