I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Midnight Rendevouz

About once every two weeks or so, Drew wakes up in the middle of the night. Either because his allergies have him stuffed up, or because I accidentally wake him up with the click of the light switch turning off his closet night light. Once he's awakened, he thinks he needs to get up.

People have told me to just let him cry it out and he'll learn to stay in bed, but I want him to know that he can come to me anytime, even during the night. After the heartache it took to conceive him and the odds we beat having him with us still, I have no problem bringing him into bed with me on occassion. In fact, I love it.

Laying next to me, his soft hand resting in mine, he has to have his right foot laying on my body somewhere. Around 4:00 am, after being kicked repeatedly in the boobs and elbowed in the nose a few times, I'm ready to take him back to his bed, but in the first hours when he is still and I can feel the rhythmic rise and fall of his chest and smell his clean hair, there's no place I'd rather be.

7 comments:

Renee said...

Sweet story. I know exactly what you mean.

Rebecca said...

You do what you feel is best...Mom's always know! :)

Thanks for your post, btw.

I love when Ty gets scared from a bad dream and runs into my bed. It makes me feel still important to him since he's so independent now. :)

Bill said...

Congrats on celebrating his 2nd birthday. He is such a miracle.

Martie said...

This post read familiar! Love all of you!!!

Sam said...

Just like a mom :-)

Anonymous said...

Awwww Michelle, didn't know you had a sensitive side to ya ;)

Kidding...

I liked this post.

SkippyMom said...

I love this so much -
the "right foot" - I can empathize...lol...

Porcupine had to put her feet on me and her head on Daddy.....bruises - yeah, that too!

He is an absolutely adorable boy - thanks for sharing.