I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Paris for the Weekend

During the several weeks when I was gone, I spent a weekend in Paris and the rest of the time jet-setting in Bel Air. Sounds so worldly doesn't it? In reality I spent a weekend canoeing in a backwards little village in Paris, Michigan and rather jet skied in the little knock about town of Bellaire, Michigan where we lived for six weeks. I recorded many things in my journal that I thought I would eventually post about, and maybe I will someday, but not today.

One thing I wanted to do was mention Owen on the anniversary of his death. Somehow not memorializing him on his day was almost as sad as the events of that awful day, but I suppose for healing to occur, you have to let go of some of the pain. So thus, another year has gone and the wound stings a little less. I did find a nice stone and had his name sandblasted on it along with a picture of a lamb to place by the tree we planted in his memory.

Steve is now a senior in high school. The moms out there who have kids graduating or already finished with high school know what I mean when I say how fast the time went, but those with small children look at us and see Steve as an adult and never imagine their own child being that old. I even think that way of Drew while Steve is proof before my eyes that kids grow up so quickly. Steve's a great kid. We've had our share of attitude with him, but the more I observe other teenage boys, I realize how lucky we are. He's a lot of fun to hang out with.

Emily, a freshman now, has received another flattering offer. We were contacted recently by a representative from The People to People Ambassador Program inviting Emily to tour and study in Paris (the real Paris) and Italy for three weeks in 2007. We have a meeting in October, but I'm not certain if I'm going to allow her to go. I would much rather she be a junior or senior for this kind of trip, but I also don't want to rob her of this opportunity. I haven't made up my mind yet.

We received some disappointing information on Drew. The kidney surgery he had last year wasn't as successful as we'd hoped. There's been some improvement, but the stage they are still rating the damage at would require surgery initially in a patient, but he may no longer be a candidate. We're not certain what all this means long term, but more tests are scheduled in November which require sedation. Think of me on November 8. I hate taking him to the hospital.

Work has been crazy. Now that we're pretty much finished with the house up north (we have to go back to install siding) I'm back to ceramic tile. This has been the job that never ends. That's where I'm headed now, so have a grand day.

11 comments:

Nelly said...

You are so right when you say that moms with young ones look to parents like you with one graduating this year and one a freshman and think, gosh, she has old kids and I can't picture my little ones at 10 let alone in high school! It is frightening how fast our lives are going.

There is still so much I don't know about you naive and I look forward to hearing about Drew. I had no idea he had kidney issues and I'm almost in tears at my desk thinking of the conversations that will take place in just 16 short days when we meet. We will laugh and I think we will cry, just because we all feel a bond and want to be a support for each other. My thoughts are with you today . . . hugs

Martie said...

I was wondering what you had found out from the ultra-sound he had done. Fill me in more when we can talk face to face!

I remembered Owen on the anniversary of his birth/death. A hard day for all of us....I love you!

Bainwen Gilrana said...

Poor baby Drew. :-(

But what an opportunity for Emily! If we all had a democratic say in raising your kids, I would definitely vote for letting her go. With kids that young, I'm sure they'd have some pretty strong supervision for them, and conferences like that are almost always very tightly scheduled.

Bainwen Gilrana said...

(Argh, I hit enter before I was done!)

Owen will always be with you. His memory deserves to be honored and loved. *hugs*

clew said...

I'm going through Incrediboy's baby clothes, getting ready to pass them on, and it's shocking how quickly he's growing up. I imagine two more blinks and he'll be a senior too ...

*sigh*

(Note to readers, she's not exaggerating - Steve and Em are GREAT KIDS)

So sorry to hear about Drewfy. You know I'm with you in spirit, sister. Feel my hugs?

clew said...

P.S. It's funny, I remembered Owen's day, but not Fin's. Guess I'm working on healing too.

chesneygirl said...

I didn't realize Drew had medical issues either. I feel so bad.

I can only imagine how hard it would be to let your "little girl" go to the other side of the world by herself but at the same time what an awesome and amazing experience/opportunity for her and possibly a once-in-a-lifetime trip. I vote for letting her go....if you're taking votes, that is. ;)

Hey, we need new siding on our house...when your done with the one you're working on, wanna come do ours?
KIDDING!!! :)

Theresa said...

Time most definitely flies, my dear. We just sent Lu's daughter off to France to study abroad. She's a Junior in college, but I can remember talking to her when she was still in her mama's belly.

You'll make the right decision about Emily. Obviously she'll have lots of opportunities. Choosing the right ones at the right times is a tough job. That's why she's lucky to have a Mom who cares so much.

I'll be including Owen and the rest of your family in my prayers, sweet girl.

Cheryl said...

Keeping your Drew, and your whole family, in my prayers!

Unknown said...

I just came over from chesney's blog. I'm wishing I had come over sooner! I read about Owen and I too had a very similar experience with my third child, Jesse...

How exciting for Emily! Follow your heart though. I'll keep Drew in my thoughts.

Rebecca said...

Hey Michelle -
Does Drew have Hydrophenosis? (sp?) My girlfriend's son had surgery for that, and it's still not perfect....

You're absolutely right about your older son. I definitely have a difficult time visualizing when Tyler will be a "man"....

WOW about your daughter. So very impressive. Think about letting her go.... I know it's difficult, but how often do opportunities like that arise?

And Owen.....
Well, Owen is always with you....you don't need to speak of him aloud to remember. :)

HUGS -
:)