I'm just a girl trying to find her own custom groove in this world without bending to the expectations of others.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

These Kids are Going to be the Death of Me

Picture added to satiate Plimco's morbid self. Take great delight in the pain and suffering of my baby. Of course, it doesn't look all that bad 3 days later. If you don't look directly at the blister, you can see it better.


I've been to the doctor's office every day this week followed by a subsequent trip to the pharmacy. Monday was Emily's turn to be seen. She has had a wart that we cannot get rid of with over the counter treatments, so we had to go to the peed. It was no big deal as Drew had his well-baby check up that day too, complete with shots. Emily's wart was too close to a joint to freeze, so we were prescribed some stronger acid to treat her which cost about $60.

Tuesday, Drew has a reaction to his shots. Or so I thought. After he started pushing on his leg and crying, I took his pants off too see what was bothering him. His little thigh was sporting a hot welt about the size of a coffee cup. I called the pediatrician who told me to bring him in right away. Turns out that he has a staph infection from the needle. I know, believe me, I was pissed too. The doctor traces the borders, takes a picture of it, administers an antibiotic and gives a prescription to continue at home with instructions to take him to ER if he develops a fever or if the welt grows past the markings.

Wednesday, Steve gets sick with "the worse sore throat ever". Drew's bump has grown by an inch is hot and leathery and even has some blisters on it. I make another trip to the peed's office with all kids in tow. Steve has strep and receives an antibiotic and Drew gets a stronger medicine to fight his infection. A powder antibiotic that I have to reconstitute and give to him for ten days. At $80 a day.

Today, fortunately, everyone seems well. Drew's leg has visible improvement and he's no longer grumpy. Steve's throat is feeling better and Emily is doing acid. One bright note, Drew can't catch Steve's strep because of all the antibiotics he's on. Let's hope I don't get it too.

14 comments:

clew said...

Holy crap, woman.

I already sent you an e, so ... Hang in there. Love you!

Martie said...

Are you trying to win my pin that says: "Another day, another disaster!"? Enough already, I'll go and look for it now...you can have it, you deserve it!! If you need me, just call;)

Ame said...

Ohhhh . . . SO sorry . . . these days will become like bragging scars someday, "Yeah? Well . . . you won't believe . . ."

Hang in there . . . the good and bad thing about time is that it never stands still . . .

You'll make it . . .

Me said...

My mouth is open... in awe. OMG he got a staph infection from the freaking needle at a DOCTORS office! I just in shocked. A little pissed, and in shock.

Do they not clean or throw away used needles?????? How did this happen?

Renee said...

Yikes! that sounds like way too much! It sounds like everyone is on the road to recovery now...hopefully!

chesneygirl said...

Good grief!!
Not fun at all!!!

Look at the bright side....it's going to be 80 degrees ALLL weekend!!! :)
Hope you're all well enough by then to enjoy it!

Cheryl said...

Staph infection!? Wow. Enough with all this already. You need another vacation.

Plimco said...

Oooooo...can you take a picture of the coffee cup sized leathery welt with blisters? It sounds so gross it makes me happy.

Itchy said...

OMG Naive!!! Good luck with all of that. I hope they all get better and that you stay nice and healthy through it all...

Michelle said...

Plimco, you're such a dork. I will take a picture when he wakes up so you can see the remnants of his festering welt.

Lisa M. said...

Beleive it or NOT, I have heard about the staff infection thing. Uck. It must have touched something prior to injection.

Thats a YUCK. Goodness. Gotta love pills and bills from the Doc.

(do you remember Pollyanna? The lady who was convinced she was gonna die, would lament about pills and bills..)

Okay, freaky show down memory lane.

Sorry.

*chuckle*

Hope they get better soon! Sounds like ya been through the ringer!

Plimco said...

Ok, that's not nearly as nasty as it was in my imagination. Not that I'm disappointed or anything... Thank you for your efforts and I'm glad he's healing. Next time a family member has some nasty blisters going on though, I want IMMEDIATE documentation. Got it?

Rebecca said...

A staph infection from the NEEDLE?????????

How does that happen?!???! I'd be LIVID.

Anonymous said...

"Emily is doing acid." You're too funny. I think we need a little acid ourselves. ;o) It's true, when it rains, it pours and I can't imagine 3 sick kids at once. Why aren't your prescriptions covered? My gosh, Michelle, that would be enough to put me in the hole! Reminds me of my Lovenox days. Anyways, glad things are calming a bit on the homefront.